Chicago Head-Fi get-together, w/pics
Dec 2, 2001 at 6:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

Tuberoller

Divorced an Orpheus to keep his wife.
It was a good time guys.Tyll and Danny are way nice guys and are very passionate(Tyll says he hates the term"professional")about what they do.We are all lucky that people like Todd,Tyll and Danny share our enthusiam and provide us with not only great products and service,but a great time as well.

On to the pics:

pic04_chicago.jpg

This is a group pic of all the guys(except me of course,I'm taking the picture)that stayed till around 2:30 when this pic was taken.I won't say anyones names.If you want to indentify yourself in the pics feel free.notice everyone is wearing headphones.

pic07_chicago.jpg

You can see some of the guys setting up,some just watching,and some already listening.Have you ever seen a guy from Montana in a tropical sportshirt?me either.

pic12_chicago.jpg

Say it with me, ORPHEUS!!! Yeah it sounded awesome and was the best looking set-up there.Even though I can hear it anytime I want and have some history with it(see quote)It never sounds any less amazing.Clearly the best there is.

pic16_chicago.jpg

It even looks pretty from the rear.No shots of the keys required to turn it on/off.
pic11_chicago.jpg

The blockhead Complete with balanced output,cables and HD600
My choice for the best sound solid-state anything I have ever heard anywhere.I only had time to listen to a few songs on it but it was love.maybe next year.
pic15_chicago.jpg

Looks to me like crosfeed takes place here.Look at how well this thing is built.i gotta get one.
pic09_chicago.jpg

One of the four racks filled with headphones and amps and source components.This one was all modded headroom Home amps powering lots of different phones including a few I had never seen.
pic13_chicago.jpg

they also displayed all the cables and adapters they sell.
pic08_chicago.jpg

These are Remote Audio modded Sony phones.They were very tightly sealed and almost completely blocked outside sounds.Which means the only sounds you hear are the mediorce midrange and MIA bass.Unique but that's about it.
pic10_chicago.jpg

I never have seen this amp before.I think it was a Holmes-Powell.After listening I realized I had missed nothing.I did not think it was possible for a tube amp to sound so bad.yes,it was warmed up.
pic05_chicago.jpg

Senn HD600,Clou Red Jaspis cable,Wheatfield HA2
My choice for best sound for something I can afford right now.When I finish my listening room/garage I'll buy this.It sounded great.Luscious and full.There is nothing missing here.If you like the tube sound and can't afford the Orpheus,look no further.
pic14_chicago.jpg

One more time.ORPHEUS!!!!!!!!!!

I had an awesome time.It was good to attach faces to the names of the guys on this forum.Tyll and Danny are great,Thanks.I gotta thank Jude as well.You do a great job with this forum and It must be a task and a half to do this and set up stuff like these get-togethers.It was Curious that no one from Etymotic was there.I got to meeet Doug from Soundstage,he was a great guy,even though he is not a football fan.

I took over 100 pictures,I would love to post them all,but since Exite went under I had to use a dial-up modem on AOL and it took over 2 hours to load these photos.If I can get another high-speed ISP soon I will see if I can post the other pictures somewhere.

Dec 2, 2001 at 6:26 PM Post #2 of 72
Well, I've never heard the Holmes Powell, but I always had the impression that it was the best headphone amp you could get...

Anyone else there think it sounded bad?

Dec 2, 2001 at 6:34 PM Post #3 of 72
HOLY ****! Look at all those people! That's insanity!

So who brought the beer this time?

Dec 2, 2001 at 7:41 PM Post #4 of 72
Sweet pictures! All those headphones, and the Orpheus, drool... Did they have Stax Omega IIs there as well? And I'd love to hear Vert's comments about the Holmes-Powell amp sounding terrible, as well.
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 2, 2001 at 9:37 PM Post #5 of 72
I dunno, I never heard the Holmes Powell before. If it sounded REALLY bad it could be the tubes are dying.
confused.gif

Dec 2, 2001 at 10:34 PM Post #6 of 72
I have heard plenty of tube gear over the years,even having heard tubes blow while I was listening.The sounds I heard from the Holmes-Powell amp did not sound as though there was a problem with the amp.I have rebuilt a few tube amps as well and cannot make comment on the construction or design of this amp.I did have ample time to listen to it as just about everyone else who listened to it left it after a short time.I tried it with various phones,Senns,Grados,AKG,Byers,ETC.This amp has NO soundstage.The volume was ok and there is fair separation of instruments but there is very poor bass response and VERY sharp treble roll-off.This amp was connected to the exact same source as the other amps installed on the board and it clearly sounded the worse of the bunch.I am doing some research on this amp now to see what in it's design could be responsible for this poor performance,and I will ask Danny when he gets it back to Montana to check to see if it is operating properly.I am a tube audio lover and I would love to believe this amp was having a bad day,we will see.

Yeah the Stax was there and yes I took pictures.I am trying to find a way to load them faster,so sit tight.I hate that Exite screwded me like this.I can't stand this slow dial-up modem.There was no beer,but we had fantastic pizza for lunch and stimulating conversation all day.It was enough to give ME a buzz.

Dec 2, 2001 at 11:00 PM Post #7 of 72
hey guys, i moved the thread and I just thought I'd clarify why: it wasn't misplaced, but the general interest forum gets more traffic. that's all
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2001 at 11:29 PM Post #8 of 72
Yeah, I listened to the Homes Powell also and it didn't really jell for me either. I tried it with my Grado HP-2s and it sounded so laid back I was really straining to hear anything. I hit max on the volume dial and it still was too soft sounding. If there was nothing wrong with it then it is a really over priced amp. On the other end of the sound spectrum was the Orpheus. This amp is just in a league by itself.

Dec 2, 2001 at 11:51 PM Post #10 of 72
Very interesting comments. Last time the Homes was compare to the big boys it won, this time it’s the worst amp there?!? Something doesn’t sound right with those results. How can this go from everyone saying it’s one of the greatest amps in the world to a POS?

Dec 3, 2001 at 1:32 AM Post #12 of 72
Quote:

How can this go from everyone saying it’s one of the greatest amps in the world to a POS?

Taste? Certainly the guy from The Absolute Sound who compared amps and liked the HP best actively *disliked* the Max. So there's really no consensus, it seems...

Dec 3, 2001 at 2:18 AM Post #13 of 72
Well all right,

1st picture. I'm the geek with the dark blue sweater with the horizontal stripe on the chest and arms. I believe I was listening to a 600 hooked up to Tyll's traveler bag. I dragged my friend Arthur (a lurker!). He's the geek attached to the Blockhead and 600. Could not get him away from it! He had a fantastic time, especially during lunch. He and Danny were having a lively discussion. Tuberoller, care to share what was going on at the other end of the table?

Tuberoller, great pictures can't wait for the rest of them and Doug's write up in Soundstage.com. I had a blast!
I'm looking forward to their return sometime in May. Thanks Tyll, Danny, Todd, and all the staff at Headroom for taking the road show to Chicago. Thanks to Etymotics for letting us have their classroom for the day. Guys it was a pleasure meeting y'all, sharing thoughts on cans and music. I look forward to our next gathering. Hopefully, after the new year.

Regards - reynman

Dec 3, 2001 at 2:57 AM Post #15 of 72
KR, it may have something to do with the extreme nature of the amp. The reviewer in TAS claimed that the HP made records sound almost too good, and claimed that if it was accurate, everything else was definitely off.

Many who have heard the HP talk about its phenomenal bass and incredible this and astonishing that. These might possibly be the signs of euphony and extreme coloration. Some people adore it; others might loathe it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back