Chicago "ChiUniFi" August 13th 2016 Meet Impressions
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #16 of 38

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could provide some impressions / feedback about this Questyle system? I am particularly interested in how the "dual-mono drive" of both the CMA800R's sounded. I am strongly considering grabbing a pair of the (non-gold) CMA800R's as my end-game amp setup.

- InsanityOne
o2smile.gif

Aug 16, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #17 of 38

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could provide some impressions / feedback about this Questyle system? I am particularly interested in how the "dual-mono drive" of both the CMA800R's sounded. I am strongly considering grabbing a pair of the (non-gold) CMA800R's as my end-game amp setup.

- InsanityOne
o2smile.gif

I heard someone else say it was very clean sounding and I have to agree. The Lcd-4 out of that phat stack was the best Lcd experience I have ever had. Still on the fence though if I want to upgrade to the Utopia and Lcd-4. They are very nice but I'm very fond of my own three headphones. The Abyss just isn't my cup of tea. That corner I was in was pretty nuts. Like head-fi heaven.

Aug 16, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #18 of 38
I heard someone else say it was very clean sounding and I have to agree. The Lcd-4 out of that phat stack was the best Lcd experience I have ever had. Still on the fence though if I want to upgrade to the Utopia and Lcd-4. They are very nice but I'm very fond of my own three headphones. The Abyss just isn't my cup of tea. That corner I was in was pretty nuts. Like head-fi heaven.
Your 007's were great I really liked them. The Utopias thru the Kenzie were really good also. I want that amp just have to conceive the wife. Was going to make the rounds to hear everything else then the power went out. Too sad . The Utopias would be my pic if I had the money. I don't care for Audeze but the LCD 4 is crazy good but just too heavy for me.

Aug 16, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #19 of 38

- InsanityOne :o2smile:  

If I were to explain the Questyle system in one word, it would be "clean". It is one of the most clear and articulate systems I have heard (and mind you my basis for comparison I'd the Cavalli Liquid Crimson, which is no slouch). You get that core sound, even with one CMA800R by itself, but when you add in a second CMA800R, the soundstage and imaging both just shoot through the roof. It becomes super holographic and 3D, like you are watching the performer live.

I'll have a complete review done for Enjoy The Music's October issue of Review magazine, but in the meantime, feel free to ask me any specific questions you like. :)

Aug 16, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #20 of 38

Yeah it was! You brought it hard with that phatty Stax setup. I really wanted to spend some quality time with your DAC, it's a bummer that the power went out.

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #23 of 38

If I were to explain the Questyle system in one word, it would be "clean". It is one of the most clear and articulate systems I have heard (and mind you my basis for comparison I'd the Cavalli Liquid Crimson, which is no slouch). You get that core sound, even with one CMA800R by itself, but when you add in a second CMA800R, the soundstage and imaging both just shoot through the roof. It becomes super holographic and 3D, like you are watching the performer live.

I'll have a complete review done for Enjoy The Music's October issue of Review magazine, but in the meantime, feel free to ask me any specific questions you like.
smily_headphones1.gif

"Clean" sounds very good indeed, but was it "fun" to listen to? I find that if an amp is too clean and too flat it tends to get boring in the long run. The only other question I would have is that since the volume is locked at a constant level when the CMA800R's are run in the dual-mono mode, the volume levels of the amps must be dictated by the DAC in which they are connected to. How "loud" is the locked volume level on the CMA800R's? Does the volume control on a DAC give enough range that I would be able to comfortably use 32 - 48 Ohm headphones with the dual-mono configuration?

P.S. - I will be anxiously awaiting your review!

- InsanityOne 
darthsmile.gif

Aug 17, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #24 of 38
Your 007's were great I really liked them. The Utopias thru the Kenzie were really good also. I want that amp just have to conceive the wife. Was going to make the rounds to hear everything else then the power went out. Too sad . The Utopias would be my pic if I had the money. I don't care for Audeze but the LCD 4 is crazy good but just too heavy for me.

Wow, I know audiophiles have to jump through many hoops to convince their significant others on audio purchases, but this is the first time I have heard of adding a new member to a family being a condition :wink:

Aug 17, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #25 of 38
  What did you guy think of the ECP DSHA-4 amplifier?

There's a really good chance that hardly anyone heard it. There was so much cool stuff to try out I did not really check on my setup and buke9 pointed out to me towards the end of the meet he wanted to hear the Ravenswood and it was not playing. Someone had hit the output button and engaged the preamp which shuts off the headphone amp and I was not aware of it till the last hour of the meet so it very well could have been off the entire time.

Not mad. Totally my fault for not putting up a sign. I honestly did not think about that until it was too late.

Aug 17, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #26 of 38

"Clean" sounds very good indeed, but was it "fun" to listen to? I find that if an amp is too clean and too flat it tends to get boring in the long run. The only other question I would have is that since the volume is locked at a constant level when the CMA800R's are run in the dual-mono mode, the volume levels of the amps must be dictated by the DAC in which they are connected to. How "loud" is the locked volume level on the CMA800R's? Does the volume control on a DAC give enough range that I would be able to comfortably use 32 - 48 Ohm headphones with the dual-mono configuration?

P.S. - I will be anxiously awaiting your review!

- InsanityOne 
darthsmile.gif

It is really hard to say for me because I have never listened to the Lcd-4 before and that is all I listened to out of that stack. That stack with the Lcd-4 was the star of the show for me though.

I hope I did not offend anyone by saying that the corner my setup was in was nuts. It was all crazy good and I demoed everything in the room more than once. I just wouldn't be surprised if that corner had $40k of headphone gear crammed into 10sq. ft. and all of it was brand new exotic stuff.

Aug 17, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #27 of 38

There's a really good chance that hardly anyone heard it. There was so much cool stuff to try out I did not really check on my setup and buke9 pointed out to me towards the end of the meet he wanted to hear the Ravenswood and it was not playing. Someone had hit the output button and engaged the preamp which shuts off the headphone amp and I was not aware of it till the last hour of the meet so it very well could have been off the entire time.

Not mad. Totally my fault for not putting up a sign. I honestly did not think about that until it was too late.

Folks are missing out big time for sure.  That Ravenswood is better than the GS-X MKII and Questyle Stack IMO.  I heard another version of this in the form of Copenhagen Valve & Solidstate and they were stunning when I heard it.

Aug 17, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #28 of 38
Wow, I know audiophiles have to jump through many hoops to convince their significant others on audio purchases, but this is the first time I have heard of adding a new member to a family being a condition :wink:
I just let the phone spell for me didn't catch that one but it is pretty funny.

Aug 17, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #30 of 38
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back