Chicago Area Meet - Saturday April 25 - Part of the Ear Gear Expo at AXPONA 2015
Apr 25, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #182 of 204
It's a little late to post this, but since there was so much to see at Axpona, the social part of the meet was limited to just over an hour in the morning. I don't think anyone will be back to the room. Several people planned to go to Tyll's talk so maybe see folks there.

PS The HE-1000s are amazing.

Apr 25, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #184 of 204
Just got back from EGX. Here are some basic impressions while they are still fresh in my mind. Don't take these too seriously. 

The HE1000 was nice. What most struck me was the bass--it had a fullness that emphasized the foundation of the music without being out of balance in quantity. I just felt like I was hearing more of it. Very whole if that makes any sense. The overall sound was quite open, making the HE-560 sound congested and veiled in comparison. It was warmer than the HE-560 but also sounded cleaner.

Listened to the Alpha Prime playing Billie Jean and couldn't handle it. Way too hot. Ouch. Also found the Ether underwhelming. It sounded laid back, open, and neutral but also a little dull on a Younger Brother test track. Not enough texture and energy IMO. 

The EL-8 closed back sounded like garbage. Sorry. There was a harsh shoutiness in the upper mids that really hurt my ears. Nothing like the LCD series. 

Also, there were some omni-directional stats in the basement that were amazeballs. 

Apr 25, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #185 of 204
Listened to the Alpha Prime playing Billie Jean and couldn't handle it. Way too hot. Ouch.

I must have listened right after you, because that was the track that was on, and I agree, it wasn't good at all.

It's a new can that was just unboxed so I'll burn it in tonight.  Come by tomorrow if you're curious., but if not, thanks for stopping by. 

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 25, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #186 of 204
Good time at the show on my first day.  Great to see the small but mighty head-fi people at the meet up.  I knew gathering would be an issue, I'm glad that we set up the short meet up for lunch.  wonderful getting to talk to all of you again, and such a romantic walk in the rain...

Ear Gear setup is really nice.  I'll be spending much more time there tomorrow, as I used most of today to hit the speaker rooms.  However, I did get to spend a little bit of time with the new hifiman 1000 and the Mr. Speakers Ether.  Both excellent Cans.  I continue to be impressed at how things just keep improving.  When I started with all this, the HD600 was one of the Top Tier cans.  In many ways it still is but there is a lot more to be had now.  Exciting times ahead.  More to come tomorrow.  only 1.5 floors left for me tomorrow, so lots of headphone time.

Apr 25, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #187 of 204
The forthcoming hifi man headphone amp sounded pretty impressive. I inquired about the price but they would not divulge what the price would be and when the amp would actually be coming out. The amp looked pretty impressively built and ran a bit warm .This one sounded very good with the new hifi man 1000 model.

Apr 25, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #188 of 204

I went today (Saturday) with my daughter.  Didn't spend much time with cans - so much to see and hear - but I wanted to try the HE 1000's

Open and warm, but maybe a bit mild.  Wish I could have listened to HE-6's to compare; didn't see any, but didn't ask.

The lovely young lady at the table said the matching tube amp was 5W; I asked about efficiency/drivability but she didn't have much to offer other than "he's trying to make it easier to drive"

Apr 26, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #189 of 204
I had a really great time! for my first time being at a show. spent 6 hours there.... and drove back home. Well worth the drive, here are some pics!
Hey he looks familiar^

Darn Blur^

When i get through most of the pics i can upload more.

Apr 26, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #190 of 204
Hey y'all!

It was nice seeing everyone again! What a great show. I had a ton of fun and listened to a bunch of great gear. I'll keep my impressions of the HE-1000 close to my chest, since it was a show environment, but let's suffice it to say that it's a contender for sure.

On an unrelated note (forreal, though, I'm getting maried, homies), my LCD-3s are now on sale in the sale forums for a ridiculously good price :). Anyway, I'll post impressions and pics of stuff tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for a great time!

Best,

Kojaku

Apr 26, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #191 of 204
The HE1000 was nice. What most struck me was the bass--it had a fullness that emphasized the foundation of the music without being out of balance in quantity. I just felt like I was hearing more of it. Very whole if that makes any sense.

Spot on. I listened to Daft Punk's Get Lucky–the track skipped like half a second (I think because of the player?) but as soon as it was rolling...I was stunned at how whole and how full yet how tight the bass sounded. Incredible. I didn't get to test many other tracks but I'm sure the HE1000 would deliver.

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #192 of 204
You talk about stunning in a different light but with reference to a speaker based system. I was in the triode room on the lower level . I asked the displayer to play a cd I am very familiar with. The cut is a recording of pepe remero a flamenco dancer. My jaw just about dropped it sounded extremely  dynamic with an almost physical quality at least to my ears. Wow I have heard this cd countless times on many systems but I have never heard it sounding so physical. This set up was with this recording was easily the best that I have ever heard this cd sound. Of course the triode electronics are well beyond my modest means and they were space takers to say the least.
   For those with the means you could do a lot worse than with the triode electronics.

Apr 27, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #193 of 204
D@mnit I forgot all about this event !
See y'all next year !

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #195 of 204
There was a free Legacy sampler that Audiohead was nice enough to hook me up when Legacy ran out on the morning of the second day (lame).  anyway, I've been listening to some of it and it has some great music on it that is very well recorded.  For anyone interested, I will post a link to download the album from my dropbox page.  Its a free sampler that says "not for sale" on the back, so I don't believe I'm breaking any copyright laws by offering it up.

give me a couple days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back