Chiara goes on a Cruise
Mar 26, 2004 at 4:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Sewer Guy

100+ Head-Fier
Hi to all members of team Chiara: This is the first post since returning from vacation 3/22/04. Pinkie I took the Chiara with me so Wayne Mc Manus could listen to it, ( He pefers to be called Wayne rather than Prof. Mc Manus). He was very gracious & took us for a tour of the island that you don't see on a tour bus.

I kept reminding him that he needed to stop to listen to the amp.
Except for a few tourist shops Georgetown shuts down on Sunday. I had the Chiara ckt. board (no it is not in a case yet), power supply, Senn. 280 phones & my mini disc recorder in a briefcase. With only 20 minutes till the last tender to the ship; we found a small mall with an inside hallway & an AC outlet. There was background music playing & an air hammer across the street making the ground vibrate. I plugged it all together & played Mercury Records classic 1954 stereo recording of 1812 Overature with real canon & musket fire & the carillon of the Riverside Church in N.Y. With all that interference his comment was "I think you've got something there". Chiara makes an impression no matter the circumstances.

Nigel & Pinkie; I have not forgotten the measurements on Chiara & the balanced discrete circuit. I promised to send Chiara back to Cayman so Wayne can give it a real audition of 3-4 weeks.

Went away sick & came back in the same condition; this is the first evening I have felt well enough to turn the computer on.
Regards all on team Chiara.

Mar 26, 2004 at 6:03 AM Post #2 of 5
Congrats on the cruise and the amp. I'm sure you and the wife had a great trip, highlighted by a chance to spend some more time with Prof. Wayne.

Mar 27, 2004 at 11:49 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by Sewer Guy
Hi to all members of team Chiara: This is the first post since returning from vacation 3/22/04. Pinkie I took the Chiara with me so Wayne Mc Manus could listen to it, ( He pefers to be called Wayne rather than Prof. Mc Manus). He was very gracious & took us for a tour of the island that you don't see on a tour bus.

I kept reminding him that he needed to stop to listen to the amp.
Except for a few tourist shops Georgetown shuts down on Sunday. I had the Chiara ckt. board (no it is not in a case yet), power supply, Senn. 280 phones & my mini disc recorder in a briefcase. With only 20 minutes till the last tender to the ship; we found a small mall with an inside hallway & an AC outlet. There was background music playing & an air hammer across the street making the ground vibrate. I plugged it all together & played Mercury Records classic 1954 stereo recording of 1812 Overature with real canon & musket fire & the carillon of the Riverside Church in N.Y. With all that interference his comment was "I think you've got something there". Chiara makes an impression no matter the circumstances.

Nigel & Pinkie; I have not forgotten the measurements on Chiara & the balanced discrete circuit. I promised to send Chiara back to Cayman so Wayne can give it a real audition of 3-4 weeks.

Went away sick & came back in the same condition; this is the first evening I have felt well enough to turn the computer on.
Regards all on team Chiara.

Hi Bill,

Glad to hear you had a good holiday :) The shopping arcade listening session with air hammer sounds far from ideal but it's amusing to think you plugged your amp into an Ac socket in a vibrating shopping mall and listened to the 1812 overture.... the air hammer probably enhanced the canons and musket fire
biggrin.gif

Hope you're feeling better now Bill and trust you're on the mend :)

All the best.

Mike.

Mar 28, 2004 at 10:01 PM Post #5 of 5
Bill, thanks for pointing me to this thread in your PM. It was a pleasure to spend the afternoon with you and your lovely wife. I'm sorry to hear about your lingering colds.

You're definitely right that I should have given your Chiara amp some listening time when we had relative peace and quiet out at Rum Point. When I did finally have my chance with it, the odds were most definitely stacked up against what turned out to be quite the surprising listening experience! There is some serious headroom with this little guy and its ability to seperate instuments is uncanny. I was actually standing up during my brief audition and holding the amp in one hand and power supply in the other, looking at them inquisitively, trying to figure out how something that looks so simple could sound so good. (I was also praying that I wouldn't get fried by a power surge!) Anyway, best of luck with this project. You are definitely on to something good!

Incidentally, you forgot to mention your jouney out to Pedro's Bluff in your "Sunday Best" shoes. Little did you know that I'd have you out in the middle of nowhere negotiating a rather rocky pathway through "ironshore" on top of a 40 foot bluff that drops straight down into the sea. At one point you were closer to the edge than you realized, but all turned out well. (No wonder they keep this location off of the tourist maps!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back