Cheapest X-Fi or High-End Sound Card?
Apr 28, 2010 at 12:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Mehdi

Head-Fier
I just picked up a Astro MixAmp, and it blows me mind how great it works.

important: I still need to pick up a pair of quality headphones to replace me HD 280 Pros.

My current PC audio is sourced from a on-board Realtek 889. While it supports Dolby Live, my motherboard does not
frown.gif
So right now I am doing 5.1 output via a USB to my MixAmp, since my optical out does not do live encoding of dolby 5.1.

1. Should I get a really cheap X-Fi ( XtremeGamer for $25 used ) in order to get Dolby Live support. It would also give me the ability to use CMSS3D.

2. Or should I buy a Forte ($150)? This may make less sense to do, since there may not be any real benefit for me.

Gaming + Movies/TV shows is what I primary use my computer for.

Thx

Apr 28, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #2 of 8
If you are using digital from either card then go with the cheapest one.

The Analog on the Forte is higher quality then Creative X-fi's, so if you are going with analog you may go a different way. Also, for budget reason you can get the Forte's refurbed From Auzentech.

Apr 28, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #4 of 8
I came to realize that my old-school Audigy 2 ZS has digital out via a mini-jack. Using a mini-jack to RCA phone cable, I can output AC3 audio to my MixAmp. I'll hit up Radio Shack today and see how the results are. I will couple this with the Dolby Digital Live package from Creatives site for $5 to do the live encoding of game audio.

However, as I think about this, I begin to wonder... how noticiable will the compression be from Dynamically generated audio that the game generates ( I imagine its PCM ) to Dolby 5.1? How about for Movies that will convert from DTS to Dolby 5.1? Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the two?

ROBSCIX: For sake of having a better setup, I will probably get a refurb Forte when the price is right. Unfortunately they are out of stock with refurbs at this time. However, I will be keenly looking out for one
smily_headphones1.gif

( edit: Oh crap, they just came back into stock!!! *mouth waters* )

chinesekiwi: I'm not sure I follow. How would the Xonar produce better dolby output? Is it simply 'faster' at encoding, hence, able to compress closer to 1:1? Can you please explain, as I am still relatively a noob with audio cards.

Apr 29, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #6 of 8
Asus Xonar DS's are $49 dollars and has DTS connect instead of DD live.

May 2, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #8 of 8
cmedia oxygenHD chip in the Xonar or similar cards support HW accelerated AC3 and/or DTS encoding. Creative solution uses CPU for encoding. That's what I remember off the top of my head, I read some reviews on this somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back