Cheapest, Good Quality DAC, with RCA Output
Oct 21, 2013 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

wrathzombie

Headphoneus Supremus
Please provide names of Cheapest DACs with RCA output.

Oct 21, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #3 of 17
Epiphany acoustics E-Dac

This is still expensive. I am looking for something which is less than $20. Not looking for any great features. But set of RCA outputs which could act as an input to a 5.1 System. Input would be through a USB from a computer.

Oct 21, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #4 of 17
Oct 21, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #6 of 17
  why do you require rca output? 3.5mm out is equivalent to rca with an adapter

I know but the computer 3.5mm is messed up. It is not functioning and it doesnt have any optical outputs. Only USB. Just checking for options.

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #7 of 17
Oct 21, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #8 of 17
  I know but the computer 3.5mm is messed up. It is not functioning and it doesnt have any optical outputs. Only USB. Just checking for options.

yeah but you don't have to restrict yourself to dacs with rca out, there are cheap dacs with 3.5mm out that you can convert to rca. anyway you can find cheap dacs (both rca as well as 3.5mm out) on ebay or monoprice

Oct 28, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #10 of 17

You sound confused. If you're going to use a USB DAC, then you won't be using your computer's other outputs, 3.5mm jack, RCA or whatnot. As for connecting the output of the DAC to your hi-fi, you can use a 3.5mm jack to RCA cable, no problem, it won't make a difference (compared to RCA -> RCA).

Oct 28, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #11 of 17
  I know but the computer 3.5mm is messed up. It is not functioning and it doesn't have any optical outputs. Only USB. Just checking for options.

Still can not understand why the analog audio signal output from the DAC has to use RCA?
The computer's non-functioning 3.5mm jack has no effect on the external DAC's analog output.

Check out the ELE EL-D01 USB DAC, sells for around $15.

Oct 28, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #12 of 17

Still can not understand why the analog audio signal output from the DAC has to use RCA?
The computer's non-functioning 3.5mm jack has no effect on the external DAC's analog output.

Check out the ELE EL-D01 USB DAC, sells for around $15.

You sound confused. If you're going to use a USB DAC, then you won't be using your computer's other outputs, 3.5mm jack, RCA or whatnot. As for connecting the output of the DAC to your hi-fi, you can use a 3.5mm jack to RCA cable, no problem, it won't make a difference (compared to RCA -> RCA).

The 3.5 mm output of the laptop doesn't work. The laptop doesn't have any other output. I need to get an RCA out so that it could be plugged into the AVR. BTW its a old ****ty AVR. It doesn't have any other input options either. Therefore a USB to RCA Soundcard/DAC

Oct 28, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #13 of 17

Here is the ELE EL-D01 USB DAC, $15.29
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELE-EL-D01-MINI-HIFI-USB-PCM2704-DAC-BOARD-CARD-ELNA-Capacitor-hercolor-balck-/200912760779

A USB cable (A male to B male) to connect the computer's USB port to the USB input port on the external USB DAC (ELE EL-D01)
http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030301&p_id=5436&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

A analog 3.5mm stereo mini-jack to RCA (red/white) cable, to connect the ELE EL-D01's 3.5mm analog stereo output the RCA inputs on the back of the AVR.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021815&p_id=5596&seq=1&format=2

Nov 1, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #14 of 17
  The 3.5 mm output of the laptop doesn't work. The laptop doesn't have any other output. I need to get an RCA out so that it could be plugged into the AVR. BTW its a old ****ty AVR. It doesn't have any other input options either. Therefore a USB to RCA Soundcard/DAC.

Why not use a cable like this? You can get cheaper ones from local electronics stores for about $5 if not less.

-----

If what you're actually looking for is a fixed lineout as opposed to a 3.5mm output with some kind of headphone amp circuitry behind it,* that's gonna be hard for $20. You can go on eBay and usually you can get some DACs for less than $50, you'll get RCA but no USB on a lot of them. Those going for $20 usually are kits - you have to solder the components then get a transformer and power caps and build a power supply for them, plus a case, which in the end would probably end up at around a hundred bucks.

*either a full amp or a buffer chip, with the volume control at the digital level, like Windows VC on the lower right of your screen, I don't think you can find one for $20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back