Cheapest Full sized Headphone Amp-Thats Actually Worth the Money?
Jun 15, 2010 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

ANinjaBurrito

Head-Fier
I've been looking around, and it seems that headphone amps are either $5,000 (Yes i'm looking at you WooAudio!), or $20 bucks (Fiio E5) and crappy. So, i'm looking for a full sized amp that is within $90-150, though I can go up to $200.

I know these are really high demands but if there was:
Bass Boost
External Volume Knob(On the actual amp)
Treble Control (Do amps even have these?)

As you can see i'm a total noob, just started getting into headphones. Just bought some M-50's, and going to get a pair of SR225 in about a month, so I thought I should pick up some amplification now.

Any help is appreciated. 

P.S. One more question: Are portable amps worth hooking up to your computer? Thanks.

Jun 15, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #3 of 28
If you live north of the GTA you might like to drop by and listen to the amps I have
laying around...might help you decide what you are looking for.
I have a couple different CMoys, a heavily modified Bravo Hybrid and a three channel Szekeres.

PM me if you are interested.

Jun 15, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #5 of 28
You can find or ask for more info in the DIY section. I would suggest you do that first. Advertise in FS section for a reputable builder if necessary. MisterX is a pretty famous builder here, but he focuses on AMB lab designs like the CKKIII. Another member tomb know more about Millett designs. I think he only sells kits now.

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #7 of 28
You always choose amp based on your headphones. If it's just a M50 and SR225i then you might as well get a cmoy and be done with it. 

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #8 of 28
As simple as the comment above is meant to sound, a "CMOY" amp is actually the birth-father of most chip-based amps in the world, with the removal of the input capacitors it rivals most portable amps on the market, while changing the ground scheme to something more powerful (though this is MUCH debated in the audio world, especially on other forums), it rivals the "high-end" portable amps and when driven with a high-quality power supply, it is the basis that almost all headphone amplifiers are based on.

Having said that, go ahead and get a CMOY without input capacitors, or better yet, the amb mini^3 and enjoy one of the best portable amps in the world. 
wink.gif

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #9 of 28
If you are hooking up to your computer there are some decent ones between $100-$200 that also include an external digital to analog converter (DAC), like the Nuforce uDac (CMOY), HiFiMAN EF2A (tube hybrid), or the Audio GD Sparrow (solid state/CMOY).

The last one I just noticed in the FS forums, seems to be a good deal at it's reduced price.

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #11 of 28
Right, that's why I attempted to differentiate it from the uDac's CMOY, thanks for weighing in as I haven't actually heard that one myself.

Jun 16, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #13 of 28
nikongod, is that a diy?

It looks pretty sweet regardless.

Jun 16, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #15 of 28
Audio-GD Sparrow! Heard it last week and it's stellar value. You could later add a Little Dot LD1+ for a tubey experience. When you grow out of these, because your headphones are getting better, you can sell 'em here and invest in something bigger. Small steps!  Makes you appreciate every incremental upgrade more. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back