Cheapest e-tailer for K701's? + questions
Jun 8, 2006 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

stukovx

100+ Head-Fier
Been reading a lot about these headphones as of late. I plan to upgrade my a-500s to these. Looked around google and such and came up with some sites from pricegrabber stating they were 299, but when I clicked on the link, all it showed was 399.

Also, people who have upgraded from my price ranged headphone(110$) to k701's, what was your reaction to them? I'm going from closed sets of cans to open so I'm guessing its going to sound pretty different.

I'm not a bass-head but I do enjoy a lively, clear, crisp sound. Already planning on what amp to pair this with =( as of now I am using gary's pa2v2.

Sorry for askin so many questions.

Jun 8, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #2 of 13
Hello. headphone.com sells them for $299, including shipping. Just give them a call. I bought mine there towards the end of April, and coming from the midrange-heavy Shure E4, they were an amazing improvement, although I'm now trading them for a Sony MDR-SA5000. The K701 is by far the best headphone I in my limited experience have ever used, but they were lacking a fullness or punch with rock. It still beat the E4 in this regard by a huge margin. I can't say too much about which amp to use with the K701, as I've only used a penguin amplifier with them, which I found offered no improvement over the ipod's internal headphone amplifier. I just recieved an SR-71, which has greatly improved the sound of the E4. It gave it that punch and fullness that was lacking, so it may do the same for the K701.

Jun 9, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #4 of 13
I bought my (brand new) K701's from Headroom for $299 shipped FedEx saver last week using a special coupon code during checkout. PM me if you want the code since I don't think they'd want it posted on the forums.

If you do a search for K701 you'll find a lot of feedback on them.

Jun 9, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #5 of 13
thanks for the replies. With open cans like these, does a lot of sound leak compared to closed cans? Reason I ask is personal
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 9, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by stukovx
thanks for the replies. With open cans like these, does a lot of sound leak compared to closed cans? Reason I ask is personal
evil_smiley.gif

Oh do they ever!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 9, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #8 of 13
Guess I gotta wear my ep-630's when viewing....ahem.....yeah

Ill try and read up a little bit more about the 701s before I go ahead and make the purchase. Still undecided between some a900's or 701's.

Jun 9, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Guess I gotta wear my ep-630's when viewing....ahem.....yeah

Yeah, you definitely don't want to wear open headphones for that.
redface.gif

Jun 9, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

evil_smiley.gif

Um, you watching Barney movies? Peewee Herman? The stooges, Madonna, Britney Spears?

Jun 9, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #11 of 13
I have owned the A900s, and currently own the A900LTDs, which is a limited, collector's edition of the A900s, as well as the K701s. From personal experience, the jump from the A900 to the K701 is huge. IMO I think the K701s is in a different league than the A900s. So my two cent is that the K701s is well worth the price increase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back