Cheapest DJ Headphones, ASAP
Dec 24, 2006 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

DDRRE

Head-Fier
Alright.
I'm looking for the cheapest of all cheap DJ headphones.
Sound quality isn't important - they're not going to get equalized anyway.

What I need:
* Good durability. Construction-wise, driver-wise.
* Efficiency - ability to work from a soundcard.
* Ability to block outside noise (no booth).
* Comfort would be nice.
* Available on Amazon.com.

and remember:
*ULTRA CHEAP, as in sub 20$, and that's a high limit. 15$ and less would be better. Remember, they need to be shipped a long way.

I'd like to hear suggestions for 3 price points, and why the more expensive one is better (you can just give 1 suggestion, that'd also be nice):

1. >10$
2. 10$-20$
3. 20$-25$

I'm currently thinking of buying the KOSS UR21. 15$ on Amazon.com.

Thanks!

Dec 24, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by vilg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking for comfortable, durable and efficient $20 phones, eh? The Sony MDR-V700DJ also known as the V-fart cannons/the drunk radioactive scorpion cans are PERFECT for you!
Impressions found here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=200799

MSRP for that is not 20bucks, only an Ebay seller sells them for that cheap and the shipping charges are more expensive than the phones themselves.

Dec 24, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #6 of 15
Guys, the UR21's look like they can isolate pretty well, and they are built for low-voltage devices. That's pretty much all I need, and they cost 15$.

I'm just asking, do you happen to know any better pair?

Dec 24, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #7 of 15
I think they're discontinued, but the Koss UR20 used to be sold for around $20. I remember they got an "OK" nod from Headroom, so they would probably be better sounding than the UR21's if you can find them.

Dec 25, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #9 of 15
get a job.

i used to dj, and 20 bucks for phones that will perform decently and survive the rigors of dj'ing are non-existant.

and what do you mean they arent going to be equalized? if you tweak the lows/mids/highs or use a mixer with an equalizer to cut bass on one track while you bring it in on another - the phones will reflect that in the mix.

Dec 25, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #10 of 15
Dec 25, 2006 at 6:24 AM Post #11 of 15
Dec 25, 2006 at 8:25 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by swagga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sennheiser HD-202 will probably be your best bet, you can find them at some of the Guitar Centers for about $25, I used the model above them (HD-212) for parties and they worked well. They cost about $60 though. Peace!

Here's a link to them: http://www.headphone.com/products/he...ser-hd-202.php

Also, the DJ Store Turntable Lab http://www.turntablelab.com/dj_equipment/71/144/ has a couple of headphones for about $20, you can check them out too!

Good Luck!

HD202 seconded.

Dec 25, 2006 at 9:05 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by incognitoedleon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think the HD201's satisfy the requirements of good isolation and efficiency.

Yeah. I have the HD201, and though they do sound good for the price, the isolation isn't too good...

Dec 25, 2006 at 9:09 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD202 seconded.

Thirded.

Cheap, fairly durable, and you should be able to hear the beat quite well with the subwoofer-like bass. The cups don't swivel, but the UR21 appears to not have that feature anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back