Cheapest desktop amp for use with a television?
Nov 28, 2012 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

amcananey

Forever a 500+ Head-Fier
My brother works long hours, lives in a small(ish) apartment and likes to watch TV and movies. As a result, it is often late before he can watch TV or movies, and his TV has absolutely terrible speakers, that make it impossible to understand dialogue, even if turned up loud. He has a good pair of headphones with a long cable, but unfortunately his TV doesn't have a headphone jack, although it does have RCA outs. He would like to be able to use his headphones with his TV. But the solution needs to be cheap, preferably around $50. Suggestions?

He could use a cheap headphone amplifier, like the Fiio E11, coupled with an RCA to mini-jack cable. But as a long-term solution, I think the small size of the E11 and the need to keep recharging it would get annoying.

Something like the Fiio E9 would probably be perfect, but it is a little over budget. Anyone have any other ideas/suggestions?

Best regards,
Adam

Nov 30, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #2 of 2
I don't have the e11, but you can't keep it plugged in?

Do they have plug in cmoy amps?  At that price point those are 2 good options (except for the battery part).

This will clearly take things out of your price range but something else to think about is a AMP/DAC with an optical input (ie e17 etc) for an even better improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back