Cheaper tube amp options that are good with HE-400 + lower impedance headphones
Jun 10, 2012 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ninjames

I get people telling me I say dumb things all day.
I know I've posted another thread, but I get paid in five days and I really need some advice. I don't have a ton of money to spend on amps right now, but I can come in anywhere below $500 if it's really worth it, though my comfort level is closer to $300 for the time being. I have never personally owned my own amp before and a little confused. First, I fell in love with the Schiit Lyr, but found that it was too powerful for some of my other headphones (V-Moda M80s, Oldskool RPM 33 1/3, Creative Aurvana Live, UE Triple Fi), even though I don't necessarily need those headphones to be amped, I know there is benefits.

My problem is I'm buying the HE-400 soon and in the future, will continue buying several more sets of headphones, some of which will require less to drive than the HE-400 and potentially some that will require a bit more. I don't want to get the Lyr if it's only going to benefit me with the HE-400 and potentially future Hifiman or Audeze headphones (I don't like to stick to one brand). I want to be able to boost some of my others as well.

Lastly, I want tubes. I like the look, I think they're intriguing, and the two or three times I've heard tube amps before (with various headphones), it was this amazing ... classic sound. I don't know how else to put it. But at any rate, I'm looking for a tube amp that fits all those requirements while still being pretty darn good. I saw Little Dot recommended somewhere but people haven't been talking about them for more than a year. Any suggestions?

P.S. some headphones on my "to-buy" list are the HE-400, potentially the HE-500, the Grado SR225 as well as one of the bigger Grado - potentially the P5000, the FA-003, the HD-25 II and possibly the HD650. I also hope to get the LCD-3 but that is at least half a year, closer to a year away.

EDIT: Would something like the Little Dot MKIII be a good option? Would it power the HE-400 well? What about some other headphones that I've listed? On top of that, if I get something like the MKIII, then I can also afford to buy a DAC. I was thinking of the streamer II, does anyone think that's a good idea? As it stands I just have a Vaio laptop and no DAC. Is that a good one? I will say my number one priority is making the HE-400 sound absolutely awesome. Thanks guys.

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #4 of 4
I have the HE-400s, the HRT Music Streamer II (Not the "+" model). I've paired these components up with my Little Dot I+ and the results were very good.  The sound performance with the HE-400s is very good.  I used Foobar and the Wasapi plug-in.  No EQ adjustments were applied at all.  The bass was very good as well as the other frequencies, and often people think of a tube amp as being "warm" in a sense.  However, the Little Dot I+ just uses the tubes on the pre-amp section and the amp itself is solid state.

The Little Dot I+ is priced pretty well and within reach (under $150).  Also, the music streamer II is only $159 (new).  Or, a bit less used.  When I use this combination, I don't use the volume past the 9 O'clock position and it's plenty loud for me -- with a lot of room left on the dial.  I believe the output on the LD I+ is 800 mW, 

Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back