Cheaper M50 sound sig?
Jan 29, 2012 at 6:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

mingamo

100+ Head-Fier
Theres probably a bunch of threads on this, but i want an m50 but theyre too expensive "120" for me to buy. I listend to them and thought they sounded great with bass that wass just slightly too much. Im basically trying to find the same sound and feel for under 70 bucks. I preferably want closed but if theres an open headphone that has some isolation i may consider it.
Options:
Kicker/Monoprice DJ hifi
Koss UR55
Audio Technica ATH T400 (similar drivers to ad/a series seems like a steal for 50)
denon dn-hp700 or 500 (same as ATH PRO 700 and PRO500 i think for less)
dont want d1001 for lack in treble area, i like a SLIGHTLY bright headphone.

Recommend anything under 70 dollars with a similar sound sig to me please.

Jan 29, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 32
Your budget is $70, which is close to $100, which is close to $120. Just save up a bit and get the M50 in a few months, rather than buying a half-way headphone now, that you end up ditching in the future when you upgrade.

Jan 29, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 32
just save some bucks and buy some M50s later if you like their sig.

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #6 of 32
Like everyone said above, if you're willing to spend a decent amount of money on headphones, or anything, just get what you want so that you don't end up wanting it later. Just find ways to limit your spending on other things for about a week or so, and you'll be fine.

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #8 of 32

Quote:
Like everyone said above, if you're willing to spend a decent amount of money on headphones, or anything, just get what you want so that you don't end up wanting it later. Just find ways to limit your spending on other things for about a week or so, and you'll be fine.

Over several years I have found this to be very true - if you can, get what you want.
Because it's gonna stay on your mind and itch at you, you'll be uncertain about what
you bought instead, and you really won't feel right about it until you get what you wanted in the first place.

With that said, f you're definitely not going to be getting the M50 no way no how,
I suggest the Sony MDR V6 at its significantly lower price point.

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #9 of 32
Thanks for the info guys. I just am afraid there is others that sound the same or better for less. Your way of looking at it is definitely accurate, but I'm 15 and and I can't stand to think of all of those other cans that are close. I was kind of using the m50 as an example. I listened to krk 6400's and a accually really liked them. Before I came on here I thought them were about perfectly neutral but people are saying they're bass light? Also, tdockweilers write up on how the m50's and krks sound seems to be how I would describe them, so I have similar ears I guess. Thing is if I buy any of the headphones ill get this stupid thing where I'm saddened that I spent too much or don't have the best. Sorry for wall of text but I'm on an android

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #11 of 32

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys. I just am afraid there is others that sound the same or better for less. Your way of looking at it is definitely accurate, but I'm 15 and and I can't stand to think of all of those other cans that are close. I was kind of using the m50 as an example. I listened to krk 6400's and a accually really liked them. Before I came on here I thought them were about perfectly neutral but people are saying they're bass light? Also, tdockweilers write up on how the m50's and krks sound seems to be how I would describe them, so I have similar ears I guess. Thing is if I buy any of the headphones ill get this stupid thing where I'm saddened that I spent too much or don't have the best. Sorry for wall of text but I'm on an android

Well, if you find any, please let us know about them. 
Something genuinely better for less is a good thing.

BTW, I have the KRK8400's and like them a lot, but I haven't listened to the 6400's.

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #12 of 32
IMO the perfect alternative to the M50 is the Koss Pro DJ 100. Before I found out about this headphone I had the SRH-840 and side-graded to the M50 due to comfort issues.
Once I found the DJ100 I was hooked and I've been raving about it ever since. I think I've been through at least 5 pairs of them by now! No, not due to defects!

Sure, they're $80, but I'm sure $10 more won't hurt.

The DJ100 has more forward mids than the M50, maybe 5% less bass, but it looks like in graphs they may have more extended sub-bass. They are NOT bass heavy, but do have a slight bass boost. The KRKs make them look like bass monsters!
To me they don't have so much bass than it bleeds into the mids and ruins the sound. Pretty much the most I can take. Best thing about the DJ100 is how well they do female vocals. Has the KRKs, HD-598 and everything else beat.
Some might be confused about the DJ100 because they don't seem to have a massive mid-bass hump. Never figured out why some people say they lack bass. They're almost bass heavy!

They do have less treble than the M50, but to my ears are much less fatiguing despite the more forward mids. I actually use mine with the M50 pads.

I normally don't like to suggest them without an amp, but they do work and sound great from a Sansa Clip! Yes, that tiny thing drivers some headphones better than even players much larger!
I use mine with Rockbox and use nothing but FLAC files on a 32gb Micro SD card.

DJ100 is also often on sale for $50. It's not as neutral as the KRKs, but a little more fun. Not quite as clear as the KRK KNS-8400, but the DJ100's level of detail isn't too far behind.

The Denon D1001/Creative Aurvana Live is also OK. Sound clarity on it is not bad.

For a more V-shaped signature you can try the Superlux HD-668B. It seems it's focus is on treble and bass. It's a very clear sounding headphone and is much better than most of the other garbage you can get for under $80.
I'm not a fan of it's signature, but it's one I can suggest. It's mids are kind of recessed.

BTW I comparing all these to the newer white boxed M50. The older pair I also had wasn't as good and had quite bloated bass and was not even remotely treble happy.

EDIT: I just read your comment about wanting slightly less bass than the M50. Then to me the DJ100 is perfect.

I also don't find the KRK KNS-6400 to be bass light at all, but pretty close.

I also think the Sony MDR-7506 isn't too bad. It's cheap and not quite as good as the KRKs, but has more mid-bass and are more portable.

The XB500 also CAN be good, but ONLY if you EQ the heck out of it. If you don't, it's unlistenable to ME. Without EQ it has a severely muffled sound (like the Kicker). Way too much bass bleed.

If you have a Best Buy in your area, you can buy the DJ100 (check stock online) and return them if you don't like them. The UR-55 isn't bad, but sound clarity is just average. It's also not that comfortable, but is more bass heavy than the DJ100.
Fans of the Porta Pro might like it. It actually has good mids, but rolled off treble.

If you're willing to give up some bass I love the Beyerdynamic DT-235. It definitely has no lack of treble. It's only $60!

Jan 30, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #13 of 32

Quote:
IMO the perfect alternative to the M50 is the Koss Pro DJ 100. Before I found out about this headphone I had the SRH-840 and side-graded to the M50 due to comfort issues.
Once I found the DJ100 I was hooked and I've been raving about it ever since. I think I've been through at least 5 pairs of them by now! No, not due to defects!

Sure, they're $80, but I'm sure $10 more won't hurt.

The Koss DJ100 is a great alternative, and out of the box, I prefer the DJ100 due to less agressive treble.
Quite neutral and versitile headphone.

If you have the chance, the obvious best way to decide which headphone to go for is... just listen to them. Don't be shy and ask you lokal dealer. Most of them will be glad to unbox and let you listen to them... at least over here in Sauerkrautland.

Jan 30, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #14 of 32
How easily is the DJ100 driven? I read your post that it dosent get very loud, but if its similar to the m50 UNamped, its EASILY worth it! The thing is that i might need to cough up the extra 20 bucks for a volume amp like the fiio, or a cmoy off ebay for 30, which makes it much better sounding but makes it 100 dollars. haha.

i might TRY them at best buy and see if i like them, but if there not worth it unamped or not around 50 bucks i have trouble being interested.

The 61 dollar mdr v6's sound like a phenomenal deal and i listened to them at NAMM and enjoyed them. seemed neutral to me with a little extra bass, The treble on high 320 kbs songs turned into detail as opposed to sibilance if i remember correctly. The thing is, i was impessed like this: krk>m50>v6  

its not i dont like the v6 but its rather cheaper sounding than the others "I think...."

BTW the KRK was amped.
Im hoping the DJ100's can be run unamped comparible to the m50, otherwise ill just buy the v6's and suck it up.

Thanks for the write up guys :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back