Cheaper headphones with amp OR better quality headphones
Nov 6, 2014 at 1:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

OrcaFish

New Head-Fier
Hello there,

I am having some troubles coming to a choice on headphones.  This is my first time considering quality equipment as I have been using some hand-me-down Bose QC2.  I was wondering if it might be better to get a little cheaper headphones with a little amp or better headphones off the bat.  My budget is extremely limited at no more than $200.  I would of course purchase an amp later on if I chose the latter option but I would still like to be able to use them in the meantime through my iphone or computer. I am totally overwhelmed with all the options and I feel like I have over indulged in the research department.  I have heard great things about the ATH 50x, Ultrasone HFi-580, Beyerdynamic Custom Pro One and some others but I have not made up my mind about anything these just seem to be talked about a lot.

I am looking for something with
-Great bass but not only looking for bass (not drowning bass)
-Comfort (I have a larger head and ears my QC2 had barley enough room)

I dont care about style or anything but portability and maybe a removable cable would be nice

I listen to a lot of electronic music daily with some indie bands and stuff but i will listen to anything
(Led Zeppelin is my favorite of all time)

as for the amp i honestly know nothing about them really so I will leave the suggestions to you

thanks for the help

Nov 6, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #3 of 9
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate

the CAL! comes to my mind 

good comfort 
good bass
small  & portable
about $70
and easy to drive, but no detachable cables

you could also keep an eye out for a used vmoda m100 (maybe), tick all your boxes 
wink.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/V-Moda-Crossfade-M-100-Matte-Black-OVER-EAR-M100-Headphones-Headsets-/161475594468?pt=US_Radio_Comm_Headsets_Earpieces&hash=item2598b208e4

As for headphone amps, Fiio products are good, affordable amps. 

Nov 6, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #4 of 9
hmm i never considered used headphones, I have some knowledge in the home theater department and i have always avoided second hand speakers because of improper break in.  many people will buy a speakers system and immediately turn it up to 100.  I have always believed in the break in process and wonder if this also applies to headphones.  Could you improperly break in the cans and permanently distort the sound if you where to blast them out of the box? my one concern for used headphones

Nov 6, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 9
You shouldn't have to worry about that.

I don't think i've ever heard someone complain about "improper" break in with headphones.

If you played something loud enough to damage the headphones,they would just stop working.

buying used gear is a great way to get good stuff at a cheaper price, just make sure it seems legit.
ph34r.gif

just my 2 cents
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back