Cheap Well-connected IEC US-spec Power Cable?
Dec 15, 2008 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

schalliol

500+ Head-Fier
I've read a lot around here about power cables recently, and it's clear that there are two camps. One believes you can have a noticeable difference with great expensive cables and the other does not. This thread is for those on the latter side of that discussion, if you are in the former side, now's a good time to hit the back button.

I simply want a well made power cable that has sufficient (perhaps overbuilt) power handling and a solid ground in the IEC to 3 prong US design. I expect many of these are so-called hospital grade cables and a 12' or so cable will be maybe $20. Does anyone have a good recommendation for such cables and where to get them? I have seen a lot of variability in the stuff included with computers and I just want to have a reasonable cable. Perhaps that puts me into the cable matters side of things very slightly, but I think there's likely some reason not to go with lamp wire with the right plugs, etc.

I can't be the only one asking this question, but I wasn't having much luck with recent discussions out there.

Ideas?

Dec 15, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #3 of 11
Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. It's probably a few bucks higher than it needs to be, but it sounds like it was produced by a special order, which keeps the prices up there.

Dec 15, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #4 of 11
if you don't believe it makes any difference why even care about the details? stick with what ever came stock, or get a standard one from radioshack. i'm in the belief that you never need anything more than a computer cord unless you are running a 1000 watt amp or something where you might need thicker gauge.

Dec 16, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #5 of 11
I've experienced problems with power before, and I'm not just talking about sound quality. Mainly I just want to be sure I have a good ground. This sort of grade cable ensures that, even if it might be slightly overkill. I've had some IEC cables that have not been nice and tight to, so I can be reasonably sure these are made to spec.

Dec 16, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #6 of 11
Oh, and my Astrodyne power supply didn't come with an IEC cable. I likely would've stuck with what was supplied with it.

Dec 16, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by sentinl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know people have had good luck with the Iron Lung jellyfish power cable and it goes for around 29 dollars.

Tube Audio Design

x2 on the Iron Lung Jellyfish.
Good Luck & Happy Holidays
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Users who are viewing this thread

Back