Cheap USB DAC with Line Out?
Apr 9, 2010 at 3:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

expxe

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a USB DAC with Line Out. I am not too concerned about sound quality since it will be used to play streaming online video. I just need the price to be good and to have line out. What do you guys recommend?

Apr 9, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #7 of 21
If you already have a uDAC, what exactly are you trying to do? If you explain your situation, we might be able to offer alternatives a little better.

Apr 9, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hybrys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you explain your situation, we might be able to offer alternatives a little better.

My laptop is connected to my TV via VGA cable. I want the sound to come out of the TV speakers rather than the laptop speakers.

Apr 9, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by expxe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My laptop is connected to my TV via VGA cable. I want the sound to come out of the TV speakers rather than the laptop speakers.

You can simply use the RCA line out on you udac, and connect it to the TV's analog audio input.

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #11 of 21
Simpler still: use the onboard audio and connect it to the TV (you just need a cable).
The uDAC can serve as default output only when listening to music (via software).

USB complicates things unnecessarily, as you already have 2 devices outputting sound from your laptop.
So it was a poor idea to start with.

There are many possibilities you just need to gain a bit of knowledge about how stuff works.

Apr 9, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by transient orca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can simply use the RCA line out on you udac, and connect it to the TV's analog audio input.

See, this is simpler, and much cheaper. That's why I was asking.

Apr 9, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #14 of 21
I am not using the uDAC for my TV, that is for my computer.

That is why I am looking for another sound card. It has to be USB because my laptop is connected to my TV.

How can I use my onboard sound from my laptop to get sound from my TV speakers? The two jacks that I have are the stereo jack and the mic jack. I tried connected a male to male 3.5mm cable from the laptop to the back of the TV and there is no sound. That is why I think I need a line out from my laptop (which it doesn't have but a new USB sound card should), correct me if I am wrong?

Apr 9, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #15 of 21
I think you're confusing things (a lot).
1. You laptop already has a line-out (the green socket)
2. Buying another thingy will not do s.....
3. Obviously your TV doesn't have a line-in, which is what you need. It's most likely a headphone-out.

So, unless you figure out a way to have an audio input for your TV we're pretty much talking for the sake of having a conversation.
Please use the manuals that come with the things you buy. Most of the answers are already there are pretty simple to find!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back