Cheap USB DAC with Line Out?
Apr 9, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #16 of 21
Laptop -> uDac's Line out -> RCA to 3.5mm male (to back of TV) -> TV , it works

I don't want to use the uDAC, I want something CHEAP! Hence this thread. Cheap is the keyword, I am using it to stream online videos to my TV, we are talking like 640x480 Youtube-like sites, sound quality doesn't matter.

Apr 9, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #17 of 21
Now I am confused ......

If you have sound that way then the problem lies in your on-board output.

Fist of all - check that you have it set as default output device in the laptop (or software).
Check that it does output sound (connect your headphones to it to make sure).
Check the cable is ok and not shortened.

If the above works - problem solved. If not - it's beyond me.

Apr 9, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #20 of 21
Does your TV not have an RCA in that can be connected to the 'VGA' input? Thus, a male stereo plug to W/R RCA. That might be the simplest way.

What you're saying should work. A headphone out IS a line out, but amplified. Thus, if it has a 3.5mm stereo in, it should work. Try to connect it again, but turn up the sound on your laptop. That might be the problem.

Buying another device won't help, it's just a waste of money. Explain EXACTLY why you won't just use the uDAC if it's doing the job right? Do you need to use both at the same time?

Apr 10, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiofil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now I am confused ......

Fist of all - check that you have it set as default output device in the laptop (or software).

It is likely that you forgot to set your on board sound card as your default audio device. When the udac is plugged in, it is set as the primary sound device and all audio output go through it. Unplugging it should reset the sound card as the primary audio device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back