Cheap transport + DAC or higher priced CDP?
Jun 7, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #31 of 75
What is your budget?

Jun 7, 2007 at 11:18 AM Post #32 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No coax support?
confused.gif

Is coax superior to optical output? I really have no clue as to what features I should be on the lookout for
confused.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is your budget?

I really don't want to go above £250/$500 because I need to factor in the cost of an amp as well.

Jun 7, 2007 at 1:15 PM Post #33 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is coax superior to optical output?

For a CD player, yes, almost every time the coax will sound better as long as you have a decent cable. In a computer as source setup optical is sometimes preferable since it has less of a tendancy to pick up noise from the PC.

For $500 I would look at this ONIX CD player or maybe some of the sites that mod DVD players. There was one I ran across recently that had a really nice modded DVD player package for $600 [including the cost of the player, I think]... but I can't for the life of me remember what the URL is.
frown.gif

You might be able to get a modded Eastsound CD-E5 as well.
wink.gif

Jun 7, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #34 of 75
I myself have been going back and forth with this whole thing:
Budget CDP w/DAC vs. Better source w/mods

I own a Marantz CD5001 (which has a great value/performance ratio).
I have been debating one of two upgrades:
A Oritek Zhaolu for the Marantz
or
A Music Hall CD25.2 (which is the same build as the Onyx CD-5) with sacdmods
Ultimately it's price or performance. The DAC will vastly improve the sound of the Marantz, but the modded CD25.2 (ZapFilter, clock, etc.) will sound even better than the DAC and Marantz together.

So what am I gonna do? The Music Hall CD25.2 w/sacdmods, without a doubt! It's a bigger investment, but in the long run a wiser one. Plus, with the new player I can move the Marantz next to my computer!

Jun 7, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #35 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacecoyote /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I myself have been going back and forth with this whole thing:
Budget CDP w/DAC vs. Better source w/mods

I own a Marantz CD5001 (which has a great value/performance ratio).
I have been debating one of two upgrades:
A Oritek Zhaolu for the Marantz
or
A Music Hall CD25.2 (which is the same build as the Onyx CD-5) with sacdmods
Ultimately it's price or performance. The DAC will vastly improve the sound of the Marantz, but the modded CD25.2 (ZapFilter, clock, etc.) will sound even better than the DAC and Marantz together.

So what am I gonna do? The Music Hall CD25.2 w/sacdmods, without a doubt! It's a bigger investment, but in the long run a wiser one. Plus, with the new player I can move the Marantz next to my computer!

If that's the case, then why not get an Apollo and call it a day? Unless you have a burning need to play SACDs (?).

Jun 7, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #36 of 75
I agree. I've heard from several people, whose opinions I respect, that this is indeed the player for it's price. If you go the modded route, don't buy a new MH 25.2. Buy a cheaper Onix (preferably used and cheap as the transport is solid). Does anyone thinnk that the Zhalou is still too iffy on the reliability scale to dump money into mods?

Don't forget the resale value of a modded item is nowhere near what one usually shells out for it. So, if you're going to mod, plan to keep it fora long time or sell it at a loss in the future (taking into account normal depreciation, etc). Otherwise, modding is not a great investment for the fickle audiophile.

Jun 7, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #37 of 75
Wow I really appreciate the help so far
smily_headphones1.gif

The Onix is at a good price point and I'll take your guys' word on its quality. Thing is how much is shipping on this? It seems that I have to go through with the order first, then they'll e-mail me with details of shipping costs before charging my account. I think I'll just send av123 an e-mail regarding that. Are there any other places that sell the cd-5 for cheaper? Last time one of these appeared for sale on these forums was 7 months ago.

Just had a look on Audiogon and someone is selling it $275 (not including shipping) but will only ship within the US
frown.gif
. Gah, knowing that it can be had for under retail price but being unable to take advantage pains my student heart.

Jun 7, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #39 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by stryker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget the resale value of a modded item is nowhere near what one usually shells out for it. So, if you're going to mod, plan to keep it fora long time or sell it at a loss in the future (taking into account normal depreciation, etc). Otherwise, modding is not a great investment for the fickle audiophile.

Whatever gave you that idea?

EDIT: oops, nevermind... I missed 'resale'. I think that the value of a modded unit is great given the level they can compete at. I have to agree that modded units usually do take a heavy loss when selling though.
wink.gif

Jun 8, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #40 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm hoping to get my SCD-CE595 modded by Tube Research Labs sometime soon, I'll see how it compares to my MicroDAC afterwards.

When my new set-up materialises it'll have to compete with my d-ne920 and Hornet
evil_smiley.gif

AV123 were very prompt with their reply. Shipping will be $140 bringing the overall cost to $540
frown.gif
. That option is as far as I can see is ruled out.

Jun 8, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #41 of 75
DJshadow,

I would recommend against getting a CDP without a coaxial digital output. It will seriously limit your future upgradeability with regards to adding a high quality DAC. Coaxial is really the way to go (unless your player has AES/EBU balanced digital outputs which is rare at this price).

I have a Denon DVD 2930 currently going into an old PS Audio Ultralink DAC and it sound MUCH better than the 2930 on its own dacs. Having said that the Dac is above your budget. I auditioned the Denon via coaxial digital output into a Mcintosh MDA1000 Dac (8000 quid) and compared it with the Mcinotosh dedicated transport (7000 quid) and there was hardly any difference! The sound is all in the Dacs so that should be your future path to improvement. Without a coaxial out you will be limited. There should be plenty of CDP under 250 pounds with coaxial out. Cambridge comes to mind.

howie

Jun 8, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #43 of 75
Is transport jitter a concern anymore nowadays with jitter-immune DACs being so common? The DAC1, for instance, claims 'complete' immunity to transport jitter and seem to have the numbers to prove it...

Jun 8, 2007 at 11:24 AM Post #44 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by howiebrou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would recommend against getting a CDP without a coaxial digital output. It will seriously limit your future upgradeability with regards to adding a high quality DAC. Coaxial is really the way to go (unless your player has AES/EBU balanced digital outputs which is rare at this price).

howie

Advice taken.

Taking into account that international shipping of CDP is too much, I'm forced into scouring eBay. I've come across this discontinued Arcam player http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tchlink:top:uk and theres another listing where the Buy it Now price is £220 (Best Offer option is available). I'm also eyeing a NAD 542 and CA 640c.

Jun 8, 2007 at 12:49 PM Post #45 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Harman-Kardon makes a great cdp wich you can use as a nice transport with about the lowest jitter you can find with coax out.

Which CD player? Sounds interesting.
wink.gif

Alchemy - It is always best to never have jitter to begin with. I don't believe the claims of jitter immunity personally. It is a moot point though in any case as I don't like the sound of the DAC1 to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back