Cheap transport + DAC or higher priced CDP?
Jun 4, 2007 at 8:21 AM Post #16 of 75
One reason I have always thought twice about separating CDP elements is because of the cost factor of adding a quality digital cable between the DAC and the CDP and another quality power cord ... mediocre reasons at best, but a disincentive! It helps, of couse, that I also really like the sound I get from my current single-unit player.

Jun 4, 2007 at 9:13 AM Post #17 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i was doing the whole computer thing for a good while - a year or so - as my main rig and where i spent almost all my time doing my listening sessions, but recently i have gone back to my stand alone cd player and, i have to say, things just sound better. i don't know why, but the music never sounds quite as good from the cpu.

That's been my experience with PC-based audio as well. Compared to my SD-3950 as transport, the PC-based sound just felt like it's missing something and I can't put my finger on it exactly.
frown.gif

Jun 4, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #18 of 75
Thanks for the replies everyone, good to see a thread of mine that doesn't die immediately
600smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is an extreme position, not one I necessarily wholly agree with but call it a stsrting point.

Physics is physics , engineering is engineering and specs are specs, a good design will perform to certain tolerances, the principles of extracting data from a CD are pretty mature now, even cheap transports can do it with error rates that are inconsequential. That part A costs 10x part B doesnt matter if they both perform to the same parameters. Jitter is at best a highly controversial topic.

If we take competent design as a given and error and jitter are disregarded what is left to worry about.

1) The post Digitization analog steps
2) A design deliberately altering the archetypal flat FR

Now given that even a $2.00 opamp can give a pretty flat response up to 20K, what else is left top worry about.

This explained a lot to me, cheers
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Older and used gear is economical way to get good performance.
wink.gif

I don't generally recommend transport + DAC combo if you are detail oriented.

Hmmm would I therefore have to go the standalone CDP route to fully realise the potential of the SA5000?
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A used Sony S7700 can be had for around 100 in ebay.. They are great transports.. Mine synergizes very well with my SA5000.. They sold for 1,400 in 99..Top notch build quality.

Amazing how much that has depreciated. Found one on eBay for £115: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sony-DVP-S7700...QQcmdZViewItem . Looks like a tank though
blink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by stryker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Oppo brand of DVD players are said to be great as a transport, including the guy who designs great DACs and other gear (Dusty at Channel Islands Audio). The idea is that the transport/dac combo allows one to upgrade just the DAC part as one can afford better gear. With a standalone player, you get what you get unless you want to spend the extra money to modify. Jitter arises as a prime issue with a trasnport/dac vs. a standalone player which has less inherent jitter as the signal path is shorter and more direct. The reason that a player is a lot more is that you are paying for all the engineering that goes inot the thing from the transport mechanism, power wupply layout, clock, dac, analog section, the case, the buttons, and controls, etc. However, it's also a fixed item that has lijmited upgrade potential ans you know we all want to upgrade--sooner rather than later.

Splitting it up might actually yield more for your money if you catch the "upgraditis" bug.

OTOH, a transport, as a "platform", can then be the basis upon which one can continuously upgrade the source over time without completely getting new equipment. The main reason is that as technology improves semiconductor chips, the price/performance of a DAC gets better and better. You can keep your same old transport and get a totally different (hopefully better) sound with a new dac.

Right now, many people use their computer and swear by it as a superior transport vs. a DVD or cd player due to the negligible jitter from the USB signal. Given the amount of music that can be stored on mulit-gig hard drives, it makes for a strong case to just start with a computer if you don't already have a transport.

I'm about to start that given the the ability to manage all my music by genre, group, album, all through iTunes. When I'm on a rampage, I can just point and click rather than have dozens of cds and jewel cases strewn about the room after a night of smoking, drinking, and rocking. When you throw in the ability to upsample, EQ, and in general fiddle with your audio stream through software, the convenience and features of a computer-as-source blows away the old cd or DVD player platform. Too bad I'm too stubborn to really change over to it, but I'm as close as I've ever been.

Really great post stryker. It would be more economical for me to use my notebook as a source, but I have long decided that my home listening will be through a standalone CDP. I just can't wholly appreciate music when I'm doing other things.

Jun 4, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #19 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the replies everyone, good to see a thread of mine that doesn't die immediately
600smile.gif

This explained a lot to me, cheers

Hmmm would I therefore have to go the standalone CDP route to fully realise the potential of the SA5000?

Amazing how much that has depreciated. Found one on eBay for £115: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sony-DVP-S7700...QQcmdZViewItem . Looks like a tank though
blink.gif

Really great post stryker. It would be more economical for me to use my notebook as a source, but I have long decided that my home listening will be through a standalone CDP. I just can't wholly appreciate music when I'm doing other things.

Built like a tank too
cool.gif

Jun 4, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #20 of 75
with the benchmark dac1 and the lavry DA10, been wanting to buy one for ages, been putting it off, but now i can afford it.

is the DA10 better sound than the DAC1? or are the opinions still split. gah.

Jun 4, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #21 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i was doing the whole computer thing for a good while - a year or so - as my main rig and where i spent almost all my time doing my listening sessions, but recently i have gone back to my stand alone cd player and, i have to say, things just sound better. i don't know why, but the music never sounds quite as good from the cpu.

Same here - I haven't heard a PC set up that sounded like a standalone CD player. I can't say why either. I also prefer the one box solution to DACs, unless the DAC was designed to work with a specific transport. But bang for your buck, a cheap transport and budget DAC could sound pretty dang good for cheap.

Jun 5, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #23 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by stryker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You've all read this article, right?

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue22/nugent.htm

Of course, it is a bit of a bother to truly optimize a computer setup:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/e...l/offramp.html

OTOH, there are other digital items that I really would love to use with my speaker setup:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...acurve2496.htm

Thanks for the links.

I'm not looking for absolute reproduction-my budget won't allow for that. And anything will be better than my present set-up (a pcdp + a Hornet), so even if a similar priced computer based was better than a transport+DAC or CDP, I'm still firm on a CD based set-up. Bear in mind I haven't ever heard good speaker/headphone set-ups many of whom here use as their reference. So my expectations of high fidelity are ambigious at best, hence my insistence on trying out 'traditional' equipment to broaden my horizons.

Jun 6, 2007 at 11:32 AM Post #24 of 75
I recently learned that "synergy thing" between components is far more important than I ever realized... until I experienced it.

For that reason (the difficulty in matching components to achieve that "synergy thing") - you may find that a good, highly regarded CDP (e.g. Rega Apollo, or Saturn, etc.) may be an easier way to "get there" than mixing and matching transports, with DAC's and amps and phones and...

Presumably... if you get a high quality CDP... the engineers have done at least some of the mixing and matching - so long as they've listened to the music, and haven't relied upon their "formulas" and "graphs" - which will never tell them how a component really sounds, especially in combination with other components.

Although... when you do happen upon "that special combo," it's difficult to do any better.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=242108

Jun 6, 2007 at 12:25 PM Post #25 of 75
IMHO and experiments the transport can make a big difference. I purchased a DAC as an upgrade to the system to use with a Denon DVD 2800II as a transport. The audible difference was negligible the DAC being slightly warmer. I figured I would try a second CDP as a transport Sony 999ES same results as with the Denon except the system was brighter. Third was trying the MF A308 CDP as a transport. This combination was the best of the three; still there was no real audible difference between the CDP and DAC. It took going with a dedicated transport (4th try) to bring the DAC to life and bring out its real capabilities.

As it has been said system synergy is what it is about. At your price point I would recommend a CDP. This will save system matching and the dreaded digital cable which should be 1.5 meters long to help with jitter reduction from echo smear.

The best advice I can is offer is to go out and listen to some CDP’s preferably in the same setup and make up your mind as to which sounds best to you.

Jun 6, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #26 of 75
Not to seem self serving, but I have a Quad 99 CDP-2 CD player up for sale now which is a CDP/Pre-amp/DAC

The CDP-2 includes six digital inputs (Computer lossless, DAB tuners, PlayStations, or other equipment with a digital out), plus a fixed output, and an ultra-short signal path variable output for those wishing to go straight into a power amp.

This is a fine CDP, but the other features are of midrange quality, but certainly passable while you acquire the funds to purchase high quality gear.

Jun 6, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #27 of 75
Some of the better value hi-fi CD players are very competitive, and I like the idea of bypassing SPDIF... so you can count me as a vote for 'higher priced CDP'.

Never heard the Entech, but it sounds like a great budget solution. I think MisterX does some mods for the Entech as well.
wink.gif

Jun 6, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #28 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by ċãţ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
with the benchmark dac1 and the lavry DA10, been wanting to buy one for ages, been putting it off, but now i can afford it.

is the DA10 better sound than the DAC1? or are the opinions still split. gah.

the D/A part of dac1 is better and the amp part of da10 is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back