Cheap Speakers
Nov 13, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Build your own. Beg and borrow tools and pick up a pair of full range speakers. You ought to be able to pull off a Zigmahornet or Voigt Pipes.

I'd go through the additional trouble of building speakers. Inexpensive commercial speakers are typically crap, with 90% of the cost going to profit and the box it comes in. You'll be paying for parts that amount to the cost of a pint or two. Getting your own drivers and building a quality cabinet maximizes your value. These singledrivers sound quite good, as well.

How true how true.

There are many places in the world where speakers are not for sale at all. This is changing but in 2003 I was in a town where if the locals needed speakers they went to this speaker kit store and purchased all the needed parts including the wood box, then put them together at home.LOL

Me being the audio geek I am wanted to do the same just for fun!

Nov 13, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by quane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are Eltax Concept Mini?

They are probably ***** compared to Eltax higher end units but still, they are made by a pro brand and they fit my budget perfectly.

Also I take it they come with banana connections, how hard would it be to convert them to work with 3.5mm jack (so i can use it with my computah).

You most likely won't be able to connect them to your computer. You need an amplifier of some sort in between. If for some reason your computer has an amplifier suited for speakers with it's output as a 3.5mm jack, you'd need a 3.5mm trs to 4 banana plugs cable. Fairly easy to make, but likely impossible to find.

Nov 13, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #18 of 27
Meh baker. I gave it a thought and realised that I would need some sort of an amplifier. Looks like I'll end up waiting till Christmas, then probably buying some better speakers and an amplifier.

Dec 6, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #19 of 27
Considering it's Christmas my budget has went up to about £150'sh but definitely not more. I was quite keen on getting the Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 with one of the most low-end Cambridge Amps + Cambridge iPod dock from Richersound for £120 but sadly the deal only lasted about a week.

So, give me some suggestions, preferably speakers and amp (and a big plus would be that it's all from richer sound but they have very little range of low-end gear).

Also Studiophile AV40's definetely seem like an option now since I've seen them in one of my local shops.

So another question would be - should I go for speakers + amp (e.g. 2 Wharfedale or Elmax speakers and a Cambridge Amp) or should I just go for a pair of AV30's or AV40's? They're gonna be used 100% with a PC and more details are on the first post. Also, how big is the quality, sound etc difference between AV30's and AV40's?

Big Thanks

Dec 6, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cheap, good, £50, with sub do not deserve to be said together.

Why are you such a dick to everyone dude? People's perspective of good is not the same, and not everyone can afford to buy top of the line equipment.

Christ, don't come in just to troll the guy and tell him he can't get anything good, if you're going to post give him a recommendation with the best he can get with his money and why he can't get better.

Get over yourself.

Dec 6, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #21 of 27
+1 on soundsticks. theyre very decent speakers for $75USD used. im a cheap person too, and while id like to get expensive speakers, computer speakers need not be all that hifi to me. i used to own a set of the first generation sound sticks, and i loved them.

Dec 6, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #22 of 27
I'm not going to edit my first post but please, if you're answering this thread, read my last post where I've described the change in situation.

But the question still remains - Should I go for 2 quality speakers + amp or M-Audio AV40's?
Also how significant is the difference between AV40's and AV30's?

Dec 6, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by quane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Considering it's Christmas my budget has went up to about £150'sh but definitely not more. I was quite keen on getting the Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 with one of the most low-end Cambridge Amps + Cambridge iPod dock from Richersound for £120 but sadly the deal only lasted about a week.

Big Thanks

I have the Diamond 9.0 speakers in my office system powered by a 2nd hand Sansui amp. These are decent small speakers , they get a bit ragged and boxy at higher volumes and are probably not great for heavy rock the bass is okay but they cannot defy the laws of physics, they are very small, but for medieval vocal music at lowish levels they are surprisingly good , dunno if that helps ?

At your pricepoint the speakers are likely to be pretty small unless you are okay with buying 2nd hand ?

Dec 6, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_charles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Diamond 9.0 speakers in my office system powered by a 2nd hand Sansui amp. These are decent small speakers , they get a bit ragged and boxy at higher volumes and are probably not great for heavy rock the bass is okay but they cannot defy the laws of physics, they are very small, but for medieval vocal music at lowish levels they are surprisingly good , dunno if that helps ?

At your pricepoint the speakers are likely to be pretty small unless you are okay with buying 2nd hand ?

I don't listen to Rock or for the fact anything but Trance/little Electro/little House so that's not really a problem.

Remember, the speakers I want are for computer, I can't have 2 huge floorstanders sitting beside my monitor
biggrin.gif
And generally I think small (relatively) speakers will be much better suited for my setup as I don't require extreme volumes etc.

Dec 7, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #25 of 27
bump?

Dec 7, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #26 of 27
Anyone?
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #27 of 27
Behringer MS-40 are now another option and I'm leaning towards them because they look so much more quality than M-Audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back