cheap skiing iem....
Feb 12, 2007 at 5:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

NtD Gr3nade

Banned
I know you arent supposed to ski with IEM's, but I had hybrid IEM's that finnaly gave out. I'm searching for something that can stay in my ear, something that doesnt have too much isolation, something that sounds good, and something that can withstand cold weather and wearing. Budget is under 75 for this one.

Feb 12, 2007 at 6:40 AM Post #4 of 20
JBL Reference 220

I've skied with mine (both XC and downhill) and they're exactly what you're looking for. They're easy to insert and they stay in place. They're 'open' phones so it's easy to hear what's going on around you. I like the sound of mine a lot. It's very open and detailed with a nice deep, clean bass. I haven't had any problems with mine outside yet but I'm always wearing a hat while skiing so they're pretty well protected from extreme cold temps. Cost is $79.99, available at Staples. I found an online Staples coupon for $10 so I only paid $69.99. Search this forum for some nice reviews, too.

Feb 12, 2007 at 6:46 AM Post #5 of 20
dude, dont do it.

if u want any audio, just try ksc75's or something super open so you can hear things around you.

i'm saying this for both you AND the others on the slopes. i don't wanna sound like your mother or anything, but it's dangerous.

Feb 12, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #6 of 20
With reasonable headphone volume levels I'm still able to hear my skis on the snow and carry on conversations while on the lifts. Use common sense--don't blast your music at full volume--and you should be fine.

I've also used my Senn MX500's on the slopes and they worked ok. I had some trouble keeping them in place, as I do with all earbuds, but they were manageable.

V-Moda Vibes should also perform similarly to my JBL 220's but the Vibes are a bit more $$.

We got a couple inches of fresh snow last nite so I'll be heading out skiing again this afternoon. Woo Hoo!
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #8 of 20
Going to have to agree with a few others here, don't go with IEM's for skiing or running at night for that matter, kind of dangerous. You might be able to see what's in front, but lets say you have somebody new on skies behind you barrelling down screaming "get out of my way" and you don't hear it... ouch. I tried KSC75's on the hills and they're ok, but it's still kind of hard to hear people around.

Feb 12, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Going to have to agree with a few others here, don't go with IEM's for skiing or running at night for that matter, kind of dangerous. You might be able to see what's in front, but lets say you have somebody new on skies behind you barrelling down screaming "get out of my way" and you don't hear it... ouch. I tried KSC75's on the hills and they're ok, but it's still kind of hard to hear people around.

x2

I couldn't imagine skiing with music playing. I guess it would be kinda nice skiing to upbeat music during fast, curvy, mogul-filled runs and soothing classical during long soothing blue runs
biggrin.gif
However, the thought of not being able to hear others around you is very disconcerting.

Off topic: FallenAngel, I was in Toronto for two weeks during Christmas and there was no snow!!!!!! I really wanted to go skiing but alas, global warming has screwed everything up...

Feb 12, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dude, dont do it.

if u want any audio, just try ksc75's or something super open so you can hear things around you.

i'm saying this for both you AND the others on the slopes. i don't wanna sound like your mother or anything, but it's dangerous.

Normal peak wind ~30mph, then add another 30-90 for me skiing. Music cant be heard then. I ski on closed trails most of the time, and only go open when I'm with friends. Either way, it's impossible to hear ppl when I'm skiing, just too much wind.

Feb 12, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #11 of 20
as much as I love the vibes.... they're metal. Not great for winter wear, go grab some d-jays, they're small and comfy!

Feb 13, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #14 of 20
OP:
Wind is an issue if you ski fast. I used some ksc-75's and could hear them...kinda. I'm ski bumming in vermont right now and gave my brother my ksc's so he wouldn't use ibuds, so I'm also considering some IEM's. This is probably the only way to listen to music and ski without using those helmets w/ built in headphones(ugh). I'd say go for it, and let me know what you end up with. Also, I'm kind of worried about the idea of having 400 dollar IEM's exposed the the harshest of elements. I am not concerned with hearing people though, because when you go fast, you can't hear them anyways, and whats behind you dont matta!
icon10.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #15 of 20
Cheap, good sound, not too much isolation: JVC Marshmellows. Just put it at a volume that doesn't blast your ears and you can hear stuff around you. Have Fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back