"Cheap" sealed around the ear Headphones?
Feb 5, 2007 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

SpacemanSpiff23

100+ Head-Fier
It looks like this thread might be a little below most of your price range, but maybe some of you can help.

I was thinking about upgrading my headphones (Sennheiser PX 200) but I don't have a huge budget. I don't like the feel of ear buds at all. I have tryed on a few pairs of around the ear (circumaural?) and I really like the feel and the isolation you get with them. I also need them to keep out the outside noise and keep in the music. I'd like to stay under $100. I really like the Sennheisers that I have, so I was looking at the HD 215 and the HD 280 Pro.

After reading some reviews, it sounds like the HD 280s have better quality sound, but a lot of people have had problems with them being too uncomfortable, and there were far too many people who said the headband broke.

Are there other sealed headphones that I should be looking at, or are these the best ones in my price range? I'd appriciate any suggestions that you guys could give me.

This is my first post here so I'm sorry if I've broken any rules or protocol by posting this here.

Feb 5, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there other sealed headphones that I should be looking at, or are these the best ones in my price range? I'd appriciate any suggestions that you guys could give me.

Use the search function and look for the following headphones: AKG 81DJ, Sony V6, and HD-280. I think those are the most popular choices and you'd find a bunch of information about them in these forums. Probably too much.
biggrin.gif

You can take a look at this thread too: a review of 15 closed headphones

By the way, I prefer both the 81s or the V6s to the 280s, I didn't like their sound. If you are concerned about comfort, maybe the V6s is the way to go.

Feb 5, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lectorcito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can take a look at this thread too: a review of 15 closed headphones

Very dangerous. You might end up spending 200$ish on Hd25s or A900s...
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very dangerous. You might end up spending 200$ish on Hd25s or A900s...
biggrin.gif

Or 770/80's like I did yesterday after reading that thread.....

Feb 5, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #7 of 16
Feel free to ignore this, but you might also want to consider IEMs. I also hated the feel of earbuds -- they rarely stayed in, they hurt my ears, it was hard to get them angled to where they pointed the music in the right direction, the provided no isolation and scant bass, etc. -- but in spite of this, I find IEMs quite unobjectionable in terms of feel. If you haven't had any experience with them, they may seem as though they'd feel the same as earbuds, but IMO they're a totally different beast. With foam tips, most IEMs are infinitely more comfortable than any earbud, and they provide much better isolation, portability, and frequently better sound quality per dollar than full-sized closed cans. On the other hand, some folks hate the feel of IEMs, so it's not inconceivable that you would be one of them.

In terms of sealed cans, I haven't heard much in the $100 range -- I had a pair of $150 770-80s, which I liked but which weren't very good unamped and were definitely not portable, and I still have a pair of $20 Koss UR-20s, which serve as a good backup pair and can double as earmuffs when it's cold out, but hardly compete with any $100 pair of anything. A lot of folks are saying good things about the AKG 81DJs, though...if I were buying a set of closed cans in the $100 range, those would definitely be my first choice right now.
wink.gif

Feb 6, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #8 of 16
Great, now instead of looking at 2 choices I have to wade through 15.
tongue.gif

Feb 6, 2007 at 2:49 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Great, now instead of looking at 2 choices I have to wade through 15.
tongue.gif

Aaah, the joys of Head Fi!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 7:03 AM Post #12 of 16
By the way, I don't have an amp. I will be using these at my computer (plugged into Logitech Z-5500 speakers) so I don't think I would need one, or would I?

P.S. I think I've decided on one of these.

Sennheiser HD215
Audio Technica A500
AKG K81 DJ

Would any of these need an amp?

Feb 7, 2007 at 8:00 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

By the way, I don't have an amp. I will be using these at my computer (plugged into Logitech Z-5500 speakers) so I don't think I would need one, or would I?

P.S. I think I've decided on one of these.

Sennheiser HD215
Audio Technica A500
AKG K81 DJ

Would any of these need an amp?

they wont really need amps. i dunno about plugging them straight into the z-500's unit though, it might be poorer quality than plugging them straight into your source instead (sound card). from my experience with my old z5300e's, they sounded like crap plugged into the headphone jack.

Feb 7, 2007 at 8:03 AM Post #14 of 16
I spent many happy years with the Sony MDR-V6. Then I found this place. I still think the MDR-V6 is a pretty good headphone, though. I'm on the verge of buying another pair for iPod use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back