Cheap rockin IEM's
Apr 23, 2007 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

FrBoundary

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to get some IEM's for less than $100. I've seen good and bad reviews of pretty much everything in this price range, so perhaps I can get a recommendation based on what I'm looking for:

-I listen to a lot of rock, mostly instrumental, so I'd like good impact. For reference, I love the sound of the Grado SR-60.
-Resolution and Fidelity come next, especially for the guitar tone.
-Finally, some good soundstaging would be nice.

Please help me whittle down my current list of options: ep630, e2c, super.fi 3, iM716, UM1, MDR-EX90, ety er-6i and anything else you see fit. Even if you don't have a recommendation, tell me which ones not to get! Thanks.

Apr 23, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #2 of 19
Firstly, is this the first time you are purchasing IEMs? If so, I'd recommend that you either buy a cheap pair or try out a pair at a shop to see if you like having them stuck in your ear.
Secondly, do you have a dream IEM? If so, you should buy a pair of decent IEMs (such as the ck7, cx300, ep630 [and the rest you mentioned, if you have the cash]) to satisfy you while you save up for your dream IEM. NEVER play the upgrade game as you will lose a lot of money in the long run.

Looking at your taste in music, I'd say go for the ck7, um1 or the sf3. But that's just my opinion. Good luck, and welcome. "sorry about your wallet!"

Apr 23, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #3 of 19
Do you want IEMs or canal phones? If you want to block out much but not all outside noise, for <$100 I think the choice is between AT CK7 and JBL reference 220 (these apparently do not block out as much noise). Those are the two i was deciding between. I went with the 220s since they are going for </=$50 on ebay.

For total blockage of outside noise you need IEMs (others can help out there, I'm sure).

Apr 23, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 19
I use Grados at home (HF1 and SR 80) and have a pair of Super fi 3s for portable. When i first tried them they seemed a little bit dark and lacking in openness compared to my HF1s, and while the still do lack that top end sparkle, i don't mind as much for some reason now
cool.gif

Something to bear in mind though, the super fi's aren't exactly discreet, even when using the flip side fit they're quite chunky in my ears.

Apr 23, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #6 of 19
If you want to spend a little and get a lot, then look for the Vsonic VS-R02 (at head-direct). Theyre way better then the creative EP-630s which are at the price range but slightly worse then the etymotic er6is. For $40, I dont think that theres an IEM that sounds this good, and I tried a decent amount of budget IEMs.

Apr 23, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to spend a little and get a lot, then look for the Vsonic VS-R02 (at head-direct). Theyre way better then the creative EP-630s which are at the price range but slightly worse then the etymotic er6is. For $40, I dont think that theres an IEM that sounds this good, and I tried a decent amount of budget IEMs.

Any idea how well the VS-R02 isolates? Is the isolation closer to the EP630s or er6is?

Apr 23, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #9 of 19
I've got the 716's and have been quite pleased with them for their intended purpose in my setup....yardwork, gym and funning on jetskis. My only complaint, if you can call it that, is the bass boost/in line volume control thingie. I've got to get around to removing that someday. Other than that, I can't complain about something that cost me well under $100. With the right tips, you get pretty good comfort and isolation. Not bad at all.

Apr 23, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #10 of 19
Thanks for the suggestions! I would really like to try out a few of these models before I decide, but as I live in Montana there is nowhere to test them out. I've thought about taking advantage of HeadRoom's generous return policy to give some a try. Anyone have any experience with this? They say they will give a full refund if the product is returned in "as new" condition. Does this mean if they come in some kind of bubble package which you destroy while opening that you won't get the refund, or just that the headphones, accessories, manuals and whatnot must be unharmed? Also, how easy is it to get the headphones, test them out and ship them back within the 30 limit? Seeing as how the no.1 piece of advice I've heard is that headphone preference is very personal, I'd hate to buy blind and be saddled with a loser.

Apr 24, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #13 of 19
iM716 on Amazon for $105

Apr 24, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the iM716 sound anything like Etymotics, then they should be the way to go.

Yup, they definitely do. They're absolutely great.

If you can spare an extra $65, get the ER-4P's
biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back