Cheap Portable Headphone Amplifier
Apr 6, 2003 at 4:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

funnytimes

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I'm not quite an audiophile, but I can reasonable detect good and bad sound quality. I was referred here from Maximum-PC forums. I have a maxwell mp3 player thats a rebranded i-rock 520, and the little thing doesn't put out enough volume at max volume. I've been looking around, and all i can find to increase the volume are expensive and bulky amplifiers. Can any of you recommend a cheap, tiny portable amplifier under $30 or $40 if thats possible?
Oh, and while I'm at it, I also need a new pair of headphones, alot of people recommend the Koss KSC-55 are they better than the sony streetstyle ones or the sportapro?

I look forward to your posts.

Sorry, I guess i didn't mention that i would rather it be under $40 or so..

Apr 6, 2003 at 4:36 AM Post #2 of 17
search button is right up top... use it

can't count the times we've gone over this again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again

Apr 6, 2003 at 5:31 AM Post #3 of 17
The KSC-55 is good.

www.fixup.net

Run a search for 'super mini', it's the smallest amp you'll get
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2003 at 6:02 AM Post #6 of 17
Other than building an amp yourself, the only add-on headphone amp under $40 that I know of is the Boostaroo (also sold at RadioSchwack stores as Cat. No. #33-1109), which may still not do the job well - in fact, even boosted, the output may still be too low for your tastes. In fact, if your output sucks to begin with, why make it louder but crappier?

EDIT: Gah, daxx, you've beaten me to it!!
redface.gif

Apr 6, 2003 at 6:10 AM Post #7 of 17
yea i might get the boostaroo or the radioshack clone, but I think i want to try the CMoy amp. I have never done a diy, and i dont have any soldering skills, at all, but i learn fast. Could you point me in the right direction to some soldering electronics information? I'm more of a computer guy, but electronics seems interesting.

Apr 6, 2003 at 6:52 AM Post #8 of 17
I am using a Radishack Volume Booster right now. It sounds decent and reasonably loud with my Sennheiser DH497 and Panasonic SL-CT800.

I am aware that other amps claimed to be superior. However, I find $100-$180 too much at the moment. It practically costs as much as my current setup. But I intend to get a better amp someday.

Apr 6, 2003 at 6:55 AM Post #9 of 17
"cheap" and "good quality" audio components, don't go together. sorry, you gotta pay for hi-fi, no way around it unless you build your own.

and like was said, SEARCH BUTTON IS MIGHTY COOL. USE IT

Apr 6, 2003 at 6:33 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by funnytimes
so the cmoy is the next step up from the boostaroo?

BIG Step

Apr 6, 2003 at 7:49 PM Post #14 of 17
ok i think i'll skip on the boostaroo, print out those tangentsoft cmoy tutitorials and study.

How do the Koss KSC-55 stack with the porta pro?
Are the sporta pro and porta pro the same
When rougly did those come out?

Apr 7, 2003 at 8:48 AM Post #15 of 17
I just built a CMOY last month and it sounds great. A fun project (and I hadn't picked up soldering iron in 12 years). I also recommend Tangent's guide as it is fairly idiot-proof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back