Cheap Portable Foldable Durable Headphones
Aug 29, 2006 at 2:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Scarred Taka

New Head-Fier
So, for about a year I have been using a pair of Sony MDR-34A Headphones. I like them because they are small, fold, are like earbuds, but have a headband. I use them on the way to school and then fold them up and stuff them in my pocket. They have a rather thin cord, and the cord finally wore out on me. I like them because they isolated just a tiny bit, because of how deep they were inserted into my ear canal. They also folded and were portable.

Now, all I have in the way of portable headphones are my ibuds.
mad.gif

I would like to find a replacement pair of headphones. They would be used on a bus, so some noise would be encountered. I would like them to have a headband, be foldable, small enough to fit in a cargo pocket and be durable. The cord on the Sony's were too thin.
I've heard recommendations for AKG 26p, PX 100, PX200, Portapros, etc.
I think the portapros are too big, and that leaves the Senns and the AKG.

My budget is about $40.

If possible I would like a fairly "flat" sound, with no emphasis on frequency's.
Therefore, I do not think I would like the AKG's. That leaves me with the Senns.

However, I've read that the PX100's have "heavy" bass and recessed treble. I have listened to headphones that sound like that and I really don't like that sound.

Are there any headphones out there that sound like a beyerdynamic?

Specifically like a DT 250(-250)?

I really like my 250's, and one of the reasons I like the sonys were that they had a remote similarity to them.

So, are there any other headphones out there?
1. Foldable
2. Headband
3. Durable
4. No/little emphasis on any frequencies?
5. Price around $40-50
6. (Optional) Semi/Sealed
Or is the PX100 the best I can get?

Thanks,

-ST-

Aug 29, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #2 of 24
Koss Sportapros for 20 dollars?

Ed

p.s. I beat the s*** out of mine everyday at the gym.

Aug 29, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #5 of 24
biged: not quite small enough, need to fit in pocket.

gsteinb88: do you have a pair? What do they sound like?

phergus_25: again, not portable enough.

Thanks, though.

EDIT: Anyone heard the Ultrasone iCans?

Aug 29, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by phergus_25
AKG 81 DJs?
wink.gif

Way overrated. I swear to god, will you people stop all the fuss? They're not that great.
Each year, there's something that rages over everything else.

Then there are the small, ignored cans like the HP460. They sound IMO, better than the K81DJ.

I would recommend the PX100's for sure. I'd recommend the SHL9500's but I haven't got them yet. And probably won't for a few weeks so I have no clue what they sound like. (but they have same specs as the HP460, which looks promising)

Aug 29, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #7 of 24
The Ultrasone HFI-15G look really good. A review here said "Comparing to PX 100s or PX 200, these cans have a way better mid range and highs as well as enough bass to go with it."

That sounds good to me.

Can anyone add any info on those?

Do they fold?

EDIT: Nevermind. They're out.

Non folding, 10 ft cord, $100

Anybody heard the Ultrasone iCans?

Aug 29, 2006 at 7:27 AM Post #8 of 24
Another vote for the PX100's. I have a pair and use them every day.

I have the 'old' PX100's that came in an Orange box, the newer ones (Buy either the white ones or the ones in a Blue Box) are said to have fewer issues with boomy bass or recessed treble, but I have never felt the need because I am happy with mine as they are.

Simon

Aug 29, 2006 at 2:09 PM Post #9 of 24
So, PX100 seem to be it.

How small are they when they're folded?

And who should I buy from to ensure that I get the new version?

Thanks,

-ST-

Aug 29, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #10 of 24
I had the PX100's but found the noise on the bus too much for them, and decided to go for the HP460's as a closed-phone alternative and I love them now 2 weeks in. I really like the mids and highs relative to the PX100's and the bass isn't bad, just not as tight as the Senns. They're a bit bigger than the Senns (they weren't much bigger than a pair of sunglasses when folded up) but they do fold and could probably still fit in a cargo pocket.

Aug 29, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #11 of 24
I would vote for the AKG K81DJ if what you were looking for wasn't so small...but despise being FOTM i think the K81DJ sound awesome when they are amped and burned. But maybe if i listen to HP460 one day ill be happier with them. But right now aKG bring me a smile everyday

Aug 29, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #13 of 24
Used to owe px100. Found them to be too bright for my taste. The bass was strong, but completely out of control. Look, the regular dynamic headphones have chambers, drivers, grills, pads, dumping material, foam ...

px100 have only drivers and cable
580smile.gif

Actually they sounded far better when I placed them inside some noname chambers with pleather pads. The bass got better control, the highs improved a bit. px100 drivers are not bad at all.

They are very compact and light and good looking. They are far better than hundreds of models in your local electronic store. But I personally don't consider them good cans, sorry.

Aug 29, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #14 of 24
Do you care about sound leakage? Because it's my understanding that the PX100s leak quite a bit and do not isolate at all.

K81DJs fit the bill better imo - decent isolation, don't leak as much, durability, foldable, great SQ although there is a definite emphasis on bass. They're more expensive than the PX100s, but you truly get what you pay for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back