Cheap Phono Preamp for Turntable?
Feb 1, 2008 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Corbet

100+ Head-Fier
I just picked up a Rega P1 Turntable for $400 and I am in desperate need of a Phono Preamp. I'm pretty broke (seeing as how I just spent $400) so I'm looking for something moderately priced.

Advice?

Feb 1, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #2 of 22
Look at Pro-Ject. They do good cheap phono stages.

If you are up for some DIY then the Hagerman Bugle is very well regarded around here.

Feb 1, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #3 of 22
Feb 2, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #4 of 22
garage-a-records.com

They have one for about $50 that works fine. Radio Shack used to have a good one too.

See ya
Steve

Feb 2, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #5 of 22
I actually used to own a Dynavector P75 (you could have bought mine three months ago for $375). I replaced it with a TC-760LC from Phonopreamps.com. Why? Because when I compared it to the Dynavector and a Cambridge Azur 640P that I also owned, I found it to sound equally as good. And it only set me back $73.50 plus shipping.

Phonopreamps.com TCC TC-760LC Details

--Jerome

Feb 2, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #6 of 22
Bellari VP series, Rega Fono, Clearaudio, Graham Slee have some entry level models.

I would consult the dealer that sold you the table for suggestions. What other kind of gear do you have in your system?

Feb 2, 2008 at 7:12 AM Post #7 of 22
Until I got my tube preamp with a phono stage, I used a NAD PP2. It sounded great and I liked it, but enjoy vinyl and tubes slightly more.

if you're interested in DIY and tubes, you might like the Bottlehead Seduction at $269.

Feb 2, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually used to own a Dynavector P75 (you could have bought mine three months ago for $375). I replaced it with a TC-760LC from Phonopreamps.com. Why? Because when I compared it to the Dynavector and a Cambridge Azur 640P that I also owned, I found it to sound equally as good. And it only set me back $73.50 plus shipping.

Phonopreamps.com TCC TC-760LC Details

--Jerome

I would imagine that this phono-pre sounds pretty good, considering that I have it's little brother the TC-750LC and it fulfills my needs and them some.

Feb 2, 2008 at 11:09 AM Post #9 of 22
One thing you should keep in mind when deciding which phonostage you get, is if you decide to go with any of the low output MC cartridges in the future you are going to need (at least) 65-70DB of gain. You will also be better served with as many options as far as loadings go to get the most out of your cartridge. Its hard to find a phonostage that can offer this much gain and remain quiet.

Feb 2, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by J.D.N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look at Pro-Ject. They do good cheap phono stages.

If you are up for some DIY then the Hagerman Bugle is very well regarded around here.

The Bugle is an excellent one.To maximize its performance,install an LM4562NA opamp in the U3 socket and get a couple 10-cell AA battery holders from Thomas Distributing and solder a couple 9 volt battery connectors to them.If you should ever want to go low output moving coil some day get a couple Cinemag transformers and solder them into an aluminum project box.All of this is quite easy and the performance is quite large.

Feb 2, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would imagine that this phono-pre sounds pretty good, considering that I have it's little brother the TC-750LC and it fulfills my needs and them some.

I decided to go with this. $55 shipped is the sweet spot and I really only need this for a MM Turntable.

Feb 2, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #12 of 22
i second (or third) the tc-760lc/750lc recommendations. i use the 760lc and it's been a good performer. not sexy, but it works...

Feb 26, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #13 of 22
Just want to thank this board -- you've settled about a week's worth of fretting online for what phono preamp to pick up with a Pro-Jekt Debut III I recently nabbed. After considering the Art DJ Pre II and the Rolls vp29, the tc-750lc looks like the way to go.

Thanks again! I'm sure I'll be back as I dive in -- it's my first foray into vinyl after some 20-odd years of CD-only living. Wish me luck.

Dec 15, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #15 of 22
I just bought a TCC TC-750. I was really interested in building my own Bugle too. ssportclay, how difficult is it to build a Bugle? The only thing I've made before was the CMoy, and I wouldn't want to waste $100 in parts on something I can't build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back