Cheap mini PC for listening music only
Nov 8, 2023 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

LowBeat91

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive mini computer for my headphone setup that has a USB implementation with hardly any noise and also has a small form factor. Do you have any ideas? I first thought about a used Mac Mini 2012/2014, but I actually only use Windows and don't know whether these are ideal

Nov 8, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #2 of 22
Notebook running Windows.

Nov 8, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #5 of 22
The similarities between those two mini pcs is that they both have BT5.2, WiFi 6 (802.11ax), USB-C-multi-port (they both should be able to use a USB-C multi-port hub, but they will vary by which ports they can use on that usb-c multi-port hub), Windows 11, and both use a DC-barrel-plug for the power (do not lose the stock AC adapter included with the mini PC! Using a universal AC adapter will be a toss-up on compatibility and lifespan). So for the MeLe one, you are sacrificing RAM and NVMe storage for on-board VGA and a different form factor, but having an on-board VGA display port with a post-COVID-pandemic-produced-CPU is very rare.

Both mini PCs should be compatible with this USB-C multi-port hub, but it is up to you on what ports you need and which ports the mini PCs can use:

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Lemorele-Docking-Station-Adapter-Ethernet-Black/dp/B0C2Y4CF6X/?th=1

However, if you do go with the MeLe mini PC, then this USB-C hub should work well and even provide an NVMe slot for up to 5TB of the highest-capable-data-speed storage:

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Docking-Station-Compatible-Enclosure-Ethernet-black/dp/B0CBJVLH4V/

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #6 of 22
The similarities between those two mini pcs is that they both have BT5.2, WiFi 6 (802.11ax), USB-C-multi-port (they both should be able to use a USB-C multi-port hub, but they will vary by which ports they can use on that usb-c multi-port hub), Windows 11, and both use a DC-barrel-plug for the power (do not lose the stock AC adapter included with the mini PC! Using a universal AC adapter will be a toss-up on compatibility and lifespan). So for the MeLe one, you are sacrificing RAM and NVMe storage for on-board VGA and a different form factor, but having an on-board VGA display port with a post-COVID-pandemic-produced-CPU is very rare.

Both mini PCs should be compatible with this USB-C multi-port hub, but it is up to you on what ports you need and which ports the mini PCs can use:

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Lemorele-Docking-Station-Adapter-Ethernet-Black/dp/B0C2Y4CF6X/?th=1

However, if you do go with the MeLe mini PC, then this USB-C hub should work well and even provide an NVMe slot for up to 5TB of the highest-capable-data-speed storage:

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Docking-Station-Compatible-Enclosure-Ethernet-black/dp/B0CBJVLH4V/
Thanks for your recommendations, at €300 it's a bit on the expensive side. A Mac Mini from 2012, for example, is available for half that price. I'm just wondering if there are differences in the USB or operating systems that affect the sound, otherwise it's just important to me that the computer has an SSD, is small and doesn't cost much.

Nov 9, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #7 of 22
Thanks for your recommendations, at €300 it's a bit on the expensive side. A Mac Mini from 2012, for example, is available for half that price. I'm just wondering if there are differences in the USB or operating systems that affect the sound, otherwise it's just important to me that the computer has an SSD, is small and doesn't cost much.
I think it will come down to what playback software you want to use and whether or not your want bit-perfect playback out of the operating system. These systems are pretty tiny but probably exceed your budget.

https://xulu.co/

Nov 9, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #8 of 22

There are little to no differences in sound with usb types or OSes, just as long your audio setup works well together. Here is one that is 150 Euros with the voucher and will still work with any of the USB-C hubs linked above:

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Celeron-Processor-Quad-Core-Computer-Connector/dp/B089CZ4QC6/

Nov 9, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #9 of 22
Does it have to be a PC? A tablet couldn't do it?
I'm using an older tablet connected to my DAC via USB, running Tidal and Plexamp.

Nov 23, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #12 of 22
Why not an Android TV box been using it for years. Via USB use UAPP. For UPnP, use BubbleUPnP. Was using Himedia Q10 Pro w/ 8Tb HDD. When shifted to NAS, used Beelink GT-King with success. Now using PC via Roon + HQP. For powering use iFi iPowerX.

As said by the previous poster. You could go the Streamer route. Using UPnP you could use your smartphone/tablet via BubbleUPnp/mConnect for control.

If you really want a mini PC. Reliable brands are: Minisforum, Beelink, Morefine, Intel NUC, Asrock, Asus.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #13 of 22
Why not an Android TV box been using it for years. Via USB use UAPP. For UPnP, use BubbleUPnP. Was using Himedia Q10 Pro w/ 8Tb HDD. When shifted to NAS, used Beelink GT-King with success. Now using PC via Roon + HQP. For powering use iFi iPowerX.

As said by the previous poster. You could go the Streamer route. Using UPnP you could use your smartphone/tablet via BubbleUPnp/mConnect for control.

If you really want a mini PC. Reliable brands are: Minisforum, Beelink, Morefine, Intel NUC, Asrock, Asus.

Jan 10, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #15 of 22
I still use a headless Mac mini 2012 as my primary streamer and it’s great. It boots from an SD card, internal hard drive is physically disconnected, run an osx optimizer script which disables unnecessary services, etc. Audirvana 3.5 is stable with Qobuz and local NAS library with PEQ and upsampling to my DAC via usb. Very quiet but not fanless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back