Cheap ladder att.
Mar 25, 2005 at 1:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Akku

Head-Fier
Does anybody tried this att. sold on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tem=5762004799

The guy has a good feedback and uses Dale resistors. It looks like the one sold by Octave Audio.
Only 10K and 100k.
I am thinking 'bout a 10k for my M³.
BTW: 10k is too low an input impedance? Must I change R1 value to 200-500K?

Mar 25, 2005 at 1:46 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by hubcaps
There's a thread on this over at diyaudio.com.

Which forum?
Thank you

Mar 25, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #6 of 8
The guys at diyaudio report it's a break before make type switch and when changing volume, one can hear clicks. Might be a bit annoying, but if you are like me, i would overlook it.

Mar 25, 2005 at 11:49 AM Post #7 of 8
Thanks everybody for the replies.
The guy promise a refund if the att. is not noiseless but acually he use the same switches shown in the diyaudio thread.
The "James" switches can be seen here

http://www.octave-electronics.com/Parts/switches.shtml

The clicking noise between switches can be very annoying.
I can't make up my mind, maybe the safer solution (but more expensive) is to buy the classic Elma switch from Schuro.

HiGHFLYiN9
I guess the DACT is a series att., the one on ebay is a ladder, only two resistors in the signal pat.

Mar 25, 2005 at 3:21 PM Post #8 of 8
There's no excuse for using a "break-before-make" stepped atten, any of the companies will sell the same switch "make-before-break" on special order. When someone sees a too-good-to-believe deal, someone got a good price on the wrong switch, and they're going with it. This is the defect in what they did.

If one is trying to save money, another argument for building it yourself is to explore how deeply one can bottom-fish the resistors, while still hearing an improved sound over a basic pot. The two resistors per channel in a ladder atten are no different than any of the signal resistors later in the amp. Many of us get excellent results using $0.11 resistors, even if we sometimes spring for $1 resistors. The atten resistors should match the amp in quality, or we're wasting our money somewhere.

Then there's amb's valid criticisms of stepped attens, made elsewhere in this forum. Build 'em small, with short signal paths.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back