Cheap(ish), durable iPhone earbuds
Jun 6, 2010 at 4:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jtgamble

New Head-Fier
I've just gone through my third or fourth pair of iphone earbuds, and I'm sick of it. I have some Shure SE530 IEMs, but I don't like using them when I'm at work (can't hear when someone is talking to me) or when I'm lying in bed (don't want to risk damaging the wires, I've had to have them replaced once already and don't want to do it again!)

The apple ones just don't last. After a month or so of my (albeit not that gentle use), the right earbud always ends up losing volume, and eventually cuts out all together. I need something cheap-ish (under $60 or so, preferably less), ideally with an iPhone mic (though it isn't 100% necessary), and DURABLE (this is a must!). I wear them TONS, they get wrapped up in my pocket and around the iPhone. They do not get used gently (that's what the shure's are for hehe). Yes, I know I'll need to replace them occasionally, but every couple months is not acceptable, especially when they start showing signs of damage after a few weeks! (No, I'm not pulling on wires or anything, they just get fairly heavy, everyday use and spend some time in my pocket.)

Jun 7, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #3 of 5
I would say to read up on the Yuin earbuds. I don't know much about the build quality but they get great reviews for the price/performance ratio they have going on. 

Jun 7, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #4 of 5
There aren't a whole lot of conventional earbuds with iphone mics on them. If you're willing to look into a lesser-isolating IEM, the Meelec M9P might be worthy of attention. The rest of the decent sub-$60 ones (iP-HS5, NE-7M, M11P, S2M, MP21 etc) probably isolate too much. If you're willing to forego  a mic the Yuin line and the newer sennheiser models might be worth a look. I quite like the $20 MX471.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back