Cheap headphones with good soundstage
Feb 5, 2013 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

MrWhaffles

New Head-Fier
Hello guys!

I am looking for some headphones with a good soundstage and rather cheap. I live in Europe so the AD700 isn't an option (because it socts about 200$ or more) and the Senn HD558 didn't really do it for me. Any suggestions?

Feb 6, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #3 of 15
Sennheiser PX-100 II.

Sorry, your post is missing information. What is "cheap" to you? What "soundstage" are you looking for? 

Feb 6, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #6 of 15
AKG K240 has a pretty good stage. 

Or add 28 euros to your budget and you can get the Beyer DT990 Pro from Thomann.de (B-Stock price). That's got one of the biggest soundstages around that price.

Feb 6, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
Pardon my enquiry, but why do you need soundstage only?

Maybe small speakers would be better? 

Well i need something for soundstage because i already have a pair of closed headphones (with no soundstage) when i need isolation and a Grado SR60i for some rock. But they all suck for gaming. Which is why i need something for soundstage. Small speakers wouldn't be better because they leak too much sound.

@streetdragon i already said i didn't like the HD 558.

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:
Well i need something for soundstage because i already have a pair of closed headphones (with no soundstage) when i need isolation and a Grado SR60i for some rock. But they all suck for gaming. Which is why i need something for soundstage. Small speakers wouldn't be better because they leak too much sound.

@streetdragon i already said i didn't like the HD 558.

oops sorry bout that, 

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #11 of 15
Not to whore out my DT770 or my MMX 300 too much - both closed cans - both give me a pretty large sound stage and work perfect for gaming. I can hear footsteps very precisely and locate enemies easily.

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
But aren't open ones better at soundstage? And i think they are both over my budget.

Good open/semi open cans have better sound stage. If you don't need the noise isolation of a closed can, go for open. That said, you really need to try out various headphones. Musicians stores usually have a bunch of Senns and Beyers as well as AKGs.

Example: A friend of mine sold of his Senn 360 gaming headset and got some 770s and is now happy. The 360s where open and have a large sound stage, but he just couldn't locate enemies.

The DT 770 can be had for a lot less than 200 USD. 5 years guarantee. Built like a tank. If you prefer open the 880s are very, very nice for gaming but are a bit more expensive. I guess you've noticed im currently a total Beyer fanboy :)

I see headphone prices like this:

under 60 Meh. Need to look and test a lot to get decent to good sound quality.
61 - 100 Improvement going on here, but you also need to read up and test
100 to 300 Entry level audiophile type sound, a big improvement.
300 to 800 ok we are talking serious sound now. Improvements are very subtle but definitive
800+ Ok the improvement is there but its not close to as spectactular as going from a 25 dollar headphone to a 200 dollar one. Very subtle improvement like icing on a great cake.

Edit: made a pretty chart for you. :)

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #14 of 15
The DT770 and DT990 have the same B-stock price on Thomann.de right now, at 128 euros. Pretty good for both I'd say if you don't mind a return-product. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back