Cheap Headphone for Classical?
Nov 30, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #16 of 21
DT231 does not isolate well in any direction, it is semiopen indeed. And it does not compete to AD700 soundwise. BTW, AD700 is very comfortable.

It is hard to find cheap closed HP which is good for classical. Probably HD280 fits the bill. I also recommend ER-6i.

Nov 30, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT231 does not isolate well in any direction, it is semiopen indeed. And it does not compete to AD700 soundwise. BTW, AD700 is very comfortable.

It is hard to find cheap closed HP which is good for classical. Probably HD280 fits the bill. I also recommend ER-6i.

okay, thanks for you help, but does DT231 suitable for Classical?
How about AD500? Seems cheaper than AD700.

Nov 30, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by KeItHlOu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks, but my friend wants sound isoluation, how about Beryer DT231?

Have him keep an eye out for a used Beyerdynamic DT48. You should be able to find one within budget. They isolate well and are one of the best classical headphones I've heard.

Nov 30, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by KeItHlOu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
okay, thanks for you help, but does DT231 suitable for Classical?
How about AD500? Seems cheaper than AD700.

I have the AD500, but I have been playing with the idea for getting the AD700s.
So I vote for the AD700s.

Nov 30, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #21 of 21
"No amp necessary" requires a complicated answer!

For example, I have Sennheiser HD 580 ($150 used), and a Sennheiser SX 100 ($50 new).

When the 580 is driven without amp by the Sansa Clip 4gb, it sounds great, but the volume at 100% is just about right when I am in a mellow mood, but not loud enough if I am in a more assertive mood. However, if I am willing to live with the "medium" volume of the clip with the HD 580s, they sound MUCH, MUCH better than the Clip with the SX 100s.... which play much louder than the 580s do.

So it is a tradeoff of volume vs. quality. There is no diminution of bass in the 580s without amp (at least not with the Sansa Clip) ... it is just that at lower total volume, the bass is not as impactful as it is at higher volumes. Can you live with medium volume? Then go for HD 580s used and you'll have all you ever want. When I play the HD 580s out of the clip but through a good amp in between (such as the Portaphile Maxed Out) I can get about 50% more volume, but when I adjust the volume to match the Clip (about 60%), the QUALITY of the sound is the same.

Need the extra midbass thump from higher volume? Then I guess HD555 would be fine.... but not nearly the nuance, detail, or sense of spaciousness provided by the HD 580s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back