Cheap/Free audio improvements
Jul 29, 2009 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

rastetter

New Head-Fier
I'm new to these forums, and a budding audiophile (n00b), so forgive me if I'm repeating this topic for the 100th time or something.

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD555's and I love the way the sound but I was wondering what I can do to make them sound even better.

I don't really want to spend more than $50. I use them mainly with my laptop so I started by using Foobar with WASAPI (Onboard audio card with HD Audio drivers). I believe I notice a difference, but maybe its my imagination. (Also what bitrate should I set in foobar?.. I can't find any info about my onboard audio chip, 32bit doesn't seem to work.

So I am wondering if there is room for improvement.. If its worth doing anything. If i get an external amplifier, or a usb audio card.. will it make such a difference that its worth spending say $50 on.

What are some options I have here.

Jul 29, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by rastetter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm new to these forums, and a budding audiophile (n00b), so forgive me if I'm repeating this topic for the 100th time or something.

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD555's and I love the way the sound but I was wondering what I can do to make them sound even better.

I don't really want to spend more than $50. I use them mainly with my laptop so I started by using Foobar with WASAPI (Onboard audio card with HD Audio drivers). I believe I notice a difference, but maybe its my imagination. (Also what bitrate should I set in foobar?.. I can't find any info about my onboard audio chip, 32bit doesn't seem to work.

So I am wondering if there is room for improvement.. If its worth doing anything. If i get an external amplifier, or a usb audio card.. will it make such a difference that its worth spending say $50 on.

What are some options I have here.

you mean bit depth, use 24bit since your audio interface is 24bit, and with 16bit music it adds zeros.
If I was you I'd change source, so moving to sound card or dac, but with 50$ is hard.

Jul 29, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #3 of 18
It is usually against the grain, but given your setup, I'd recommend trying out Foobar's EQ. Usually you don't want to EQ, as it adds more and more change on the original signal, and adds a slightly 'synthetic' sound, but it could help in your case. Play around with it and you might find a better sound. The 555s are not really picky about amplification but they do benefit greatly from a good sounding source so upgrading from the on-board sound will make a big difference.

Jul 29, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #4 of 18
Go pick up a used/vintage two channel receiver at a garage sale, secondhand shop or Craigslist. Many of them make nice amplifiers, have a tuner and have a phono stagefor when you're ready to try vinyl.

Jul 29, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by neouser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you mean bit depth, use 24bit since your audio interface is 24bit, and with 16bit music it adds zeros.
If I was you I'd change source, so moving to sound card or dac, but with 50$ is hard.

Don't do this. Chances are all your music is 16-bit. Just use that.

You can try using software EQ to get your "optimum" sound. There is a stickied thread on how to EQ headphones on the full-size board.

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is usually against the grain, but given your setup, I'd recommend trying out Foobar's EQ. Usually you don't want to EQ, as it adds more and more change on the original signal, and adds a slightly 'synthetic' sound, but it could help in your case.

How the hell else would you get a low-frequency boost ?lol

Jul 29, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aleatoris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't do this. Chances are all your music is 16-bit. Just use that.

You can try using software EQ to get your "optimum" sound. There is a stickied thread on how to EQ headphones on the full-size board.

That would give him some room for volume lowering, in theory. Or even if is useless, no way is bad. However it's the same: 16,24 are both ok. Still the weak part of his setup is the quality of the conversion, and no amplification for the headphones, stick with the used/cheap stuff option is the only way.

I'd start with the dac section, but as I said, 50$ is a bit of a narrow budget. Going up to 100$ there'd be some interesting options.

Again about the 24bit thing, just please don't say "don't do it" like I'm saying ****.

Thank you

Jul 30, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #10 of 18
you could try to get a used Chaintech..(I'm saying this because I'm selling one...selfless shame promotion). then again, messing around with the drivers to use the DAC will give you so many problems that you will want your money back :p

Jul 30, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by RushNerd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How the hell else would you get a low-frequency boost ?lol

Sorry, but I do not understand what you are trying to mean by that can you please explain?

To the OP, if you are looking for a decent "upgrade" to the sound for 50$ or free it is probably not going to happen, at best you can alter it to maybe suit your taste a tiny bit more. With loudspeakers, this is possible because you can play with speaker positioning and/or adjust the height, add more dampening in the cabinets etc etc, but headphones cannot do so.

Jul 31, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #14 of 18
All of the above, plus: Remove the "surround-sound" insert from inside the cups. Effectively changes your phones to a 595 (without the snazzy headband).

Source improvement/amping really helps. Beyond that and this mod, which is reversable, you start getting into mods that may impact the resale value of the 'phones. Some I'd recommend, some I would not, depending on how handy you are, and how far you're willing to go. Check my sig--I'm in pretty deep, myself.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 31, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #15 of 18
I agree with Zaubertuba.
Remove the foam insert inside the cups. Removed the ear pads, the screen, and screws. Peel off the foam from the plastic grill and put everything back together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back