Cheap extended travelling?
Jul 22, 2008 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

skiingemt

100+ Head-Fier
My life has taken some turns, and long story short, I'm looking to do some extended travelling on the cheap. I'm thinking 1-6 months, for not much more than $3000 including airfare. I've considered Buenos Aires (a la How To Live Like a Rock Star in Buenos Aires), or Thailand (which supposedly can be super-cheap). I may also look for volunteer opportunities, both for the experience and to extend the trip.

So I put it to the community- where have you been that was both cheap and awesome? Also, any tips for ridiculously cheap airfare?

Jul 22, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #3 of 7
Have you considered a backpacking trip? What about peace corps?

I want to do a backpacking trip in the next few years which can be made as cheap as you want it to really.

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #4 of 7
If you need a place to sleep, try CouchSurfing. Never tried it myself but I've only heard good things about it.

If you're looking for people you can travel with, try www.travbuddy.com. Biggest online travel community with over 1 million users.

For cheap airfares you should consider a Round the World Ticket. $3000 should be plenty for that. I'm not sure but I think the more stops you take and the longer each stop takes, the more expensive it'll be but there are lots of options to choose from.

Other than that, try vertical travel search engines like www.kayak.com for the cheapest fares.

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #5 of 7
If you give me $3000 you can stay at my house FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!! And you don't have to do NOTHIN!!!
I'll go buy me a Beta, yeah
biggrin.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #6 of 7
Look into a freighter cruise. They can be as cheap as $70 per day and the accomodations tend to be very good. No buffets or deck games, but good food and plenty of time to chill out, read, study, whatever.

You could also do something like pick up a GROL radio license with the marine endorsements and get a job working radio/radar onboard. That'll get you free passage and board as well as pay. You could work to one spot, stay awhile, get another job, go somewhere else, and so on. I've been thinking of doing this to arrange a trip around the world. I think you could do it in six months to a year and maybe have money left over afterwards.

Jul 23, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #7 of 7
I spent two months in Costa Rica for about $800USD. that was in 2001, though, and I imagine things may have changed a little.

I've heard recently that a lot of the small towns I stayed in for ~$5 a night now have major US chain hotels in them, which probably drives the cost up a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back