Cheap(er) bass?
Oct 15, 2010 at 1:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Timmac

New Head-Fier
Wanted some guidance on getting some iem's with buckets of bass cheaper.

I ordered some hje900's and was not really impressed, and after a bit more reading I figured the just don't suit my music... I need heavy bass not great instrument seporation. My problem is that I just won't pay that much money for something that will break, that's what made the hje's so good. I would never have to be happy because the actuall driver broke this time and not the jack, so that I could solder the driver from an old pair into the body of the newer ones, like I did with my (really) cheap sonys.

ANYWAY... I have come to the conclusion that I don't really need £100 headphones. I am brinnging my budget down to around £40.

I am heavily considering a pair of a-jays, I just wanted to know it there is something blindingly better.

I listen to heavy metal. Bands like darkest hour, heaven shall burn, in flames. Basically melodeath. Also a bit of drum and bass in there, but don't worry too much about that.

So yea, to summerize-
Around £40
Bass
Good for metal
Good build quality, I'm sick of buying new 'phones every two months.

Bla bla bla, people who know stuff help a newb out. Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #3 of 14
What do you listen from? One problem I have trying to get bass is when a player does not output much bass. If you want to have more bass, you will need a player with a good EQ, or if you have a compatible player, try rockbox.org to get an equalizer for you player. other than that, as far a bass heavy IEMs, I found some by Altec Lansing... Wooden ones at Walmart, $25 USD. I liked the sound, it had tons of bass, but sadly they broke, as did my friends pair.

Oct 15, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #4 of 14

What do you listen from? One problem I have trying to get bass is when a player does not output much bass. If you want to have more bass, you will need a player with a good EQ, or if you have a compatible player, try rockbox.org to get an equalizer for you player. other than that, as far a bass heavy IEMs, I found some by Altec Lansing... Wooden ones at Walmart, $25 USD. I liked the sound, it had tons of bass, but sadly they broke, as did my friends pair.

Yea I have an android phone but it's rooted with some dsp software that has a great eq. I was really sad when my rockboxed sansa e200 broke. So I'm fine In that respect, have the bass pretty much pushed up all the way.

Oct 15, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #5 of 14

Fischer Eterna.

Sorry for the double post, I didn't see this one.

How much are these? I can't seem to find many places that sell them.

How do they compare to the a-jays? Going to be loads better, or just marginally? The jays come with a lot more accessories, which I'm quite partial to
wink.gif
thanks for pointing them out, I hadn't heard of 'em.

Oct 15, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:
How much are these? I can't seem to find many places that sell them.

How do they compare to the a-jays? Going to be loads better, or just marginally? The jays come with a lot more accessories, which I'm quite partial to
wink.gif
thanks for pointing them out, I hadn't heard of 'em.

The Eterna are about $68+shipping. You can find them on eBay or bugdenaudio.com (not sure if they ship to the UK though). I've never heard the a-JAYS but I do think the Eterna is better than the higher-end t-JAYS, especially if bass is what you're after. The build quality isn't brilliant though - perhaps the Meelec M11+ is a better bass-heavy choice if build quality is your top concern over sound.

Oct 15, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #7 of 14
I don't listen to Drum and Bass but for metal music coming from an android source the radiopaq jazz are working well for me, good bass but decent mids which you need for Metal IMO.

Buy em from radiopaq direct or HMV, they're on half price offer at the moment so 20 quid for now. Only proper IEMs i've got so can't compare to other's but they work well for Metal on an android source for me.

Other headphones i ruled out because they were more bass heavy and less clarity in the mids and highs were the soundmagic range and the sennheiser like the CX300 II, they'd also fit into your budget and are widely available in the UK same as the radiopaqs.

Oct 15, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #8 of 14
ok, I can't find a place to easily ship the eterna so their ruled out.

Would I be correct in thinking-

sound quality-
Meelec m11>radiopaq jazz>A-jays

whole package (I'm talking extras+ I'm a sucker for nice design)
A-jays>m11>jazz

now, I'm fairly happy with all of these so my question is- will the sound be THAT much of a difference to make me stray away from the Jays? Baring in mind I'm by no means an audiophile, will I really tell the difference between these?

Oct 15, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #9 of 14
Actually I think the Jazz sounds better than the M11+ does - it just doesn't have the stellar build quality of the Meelecs. Also the Jazz comes with no accessories aside from tips. The a-JAYS one, two, and three come with different accessories so keep that in mind. I think with the 'one' you don't get anything besides the cable and tips, with the 'two' they add the splitter and airplane adapter (street value about $1 each) and with the 'three' you get that pacman-style case which looks cool but is a little impractical.

Oct 15, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
Actually I think the Jazz sounds better than the M11+ does - it just doesn't have the stellar build quality of the Meelecs. Also the Jazz comes with no accessories aside from tips. The a-JAYS one, two, and three come with different accessories so keep that in mind. I think with the 'one' you don't get anything besides the cable and tips, with the 'two' they add the splitter and airplane adapter (street value about $1 each) and with the 'three' you get that pacman-style case which looks cool but is a little impractical.

why is it so difficult to choose...

But just to clear things up, do you think these three (or two, considering you haven't heard the jays) are the best to choose from?

I'm definatly looking at the a-jays three btw.

Oct 15, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
why is it so difficult to choose...

But just to clear things up, do you think these three (or two, considering you haven't heard the jays) are the best to choose from?

There's probably other models that fit your requirements but out of what I'm familiar with, yes. Personally I'm not too concerned with accessories since I can always buy what I need later and for less so I'd buy the Eterna if bass is what you're after. Comes out to just under 50GBP shipped from the authorized dealer on ebay. Second for me would be the Hippo VB but the construction isn't the greatest ($79 from unclewilson's), then the Jazz, and then the Meelecs. If build quality is a priority, the Meelecs are the only ones I'd buy.

Oct 15, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #12 of 14

Quote:

There's probably other models that fit your requirements but out of what I'm familiar with, yes. Personally I'm not too concerned with accessories since I can always buy what I need later and for less so I'd buy the Eterna if bass is what you're after. Comes out to just under 50GBP shipped from the authorized dealer on ebay. Second for me would be the Hippo VB but the construction isn't the greatest ($79 from unclewilson's), then the Jazz, and then the Meelecs. If build quality is a priority, the Meelecs are the only ones I'd buy.

Thanks for the help man, really appreciate it.

However, the eterna's and the Hippo's are too expensive to fit my current budget. I'll definatly look more into the Jazz/m11. Especially since the Jazz are so cheap atm.

hmmm...

Oct 16, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
The eterna's have gone up in price recently it seems, they used to work out at about £43 shipped... (it doesn't help with the pound being so weak too)

Yea, shame. But I'm not really worried about these, they do sound very nice but I'm not a fan of only being able to wear these over ear, I'm going to be using whatever I get casually and need to be able to take them on and off a lot. 

I'll have to wait a while before I can buy anything though, I need to get my money back from play for the Panasonics so I'm still very much open to suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back