cheap, easy to drive , closed headphones, not expecting miracles
Dec 12, 2006 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

hciman77

Headphoneus Supremus
Having just had my first experience flying with my new toy - Zen Xtra and finding that the PX100s have almost no isolation I seek a closed solution.

It doesnt have to be the last word in sound quality but it must have "decent" isolation and be easy to drive and preferably not too bulky. I have tried IEMs but find them very uncomfortable and tricky and I dont want to fart around with bulky and expensive noise cancelling phones.

My budget is an absolute fixed $70 so again I dont expect amazing I would settle for goodish. I have considered the Senn EH150 and the Philips 460 , the K81DJ are probably just a bit too much. Has anybody tried the EH150s ?

Dec 12, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having just had my first experience flying with my new toy - Zen Xtra and finding that the PX100s have almost no isolation I seek a closed solution.

It doesnt have to be the last word in sound quality but it must have "decent" isolation and be easy to drive and preferably not too bulky. I have tried IEMs but find them very uncomfortable and tricky and I dont want to fart around with bulky and expensive noise cancelling phones.

My budget is an absolute fixed $70 so again I dont expect amazing I would settle for goodish. I have considered the Senn EH150 and the Philips 460 , the K81DJ are probably just a bit too much. Has anybody tried the EH150s ?

From what I read, I'd look at the HD201.
But my personal reccomendation is the K81DJ. You can get it for about $55-60 shipped. I think Buy.com is the place everyone is getting it right now for the lowest price.

Dec 12, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 7
I'd recommend the Sony MDR-V6 as an all rounder/ closed headphone. Great can for monitoring. $64 at Amazon.

Dec 13, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #4 of 7
Haven't heard anything good about the EH150, and found the 250 and 350 only so-so when I heard them at an electronics store. I'd say HP460 from what you mention. You might want to consider the HD205, which I vaguely recall sounding better than the EH options, and others seem to be touting them lately as well.

Dec 13, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haven't heard anything good about the EH150, and found the 250 and 350 only so-so when I heard them at an electronics store. I'd say HP460 from what you mention. You might want to consider the HD205, which I vaguely recall sounding better than the EH options, and others seem to be touting them lately as well.

How good is the Isolation on the 460 or 205 ?. I was also looking at the ATH T22 which is supposed to have very good isolation, I can live with okay sound as long as the isolation is good.

Dec 13, 2006 at 6:16 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How good is the Isolation on the 460 or 205 ?. I was also looking at the ATH T22 which is supposed to have very good isolation, I can live with okay sound as long as the isolation is good.

Oh, for isolation I'd say something I normally avoid: go for the K81dj. I haven't heard an ATH T22, can't say on them, but among the usual suspect headphones that the Germans love to put out for testing (for example everything mentioned in this thread) the K81 really does a fine job isolating. And it seems that a lot of head-fiers have been finding them for under $70 shipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back