Cheap/Easy Digital Link Between Computers?
Jan 28, 2018 at 10:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

solarfish_

New Head-Fier
What's the best way to get digital audio out of one computer and into another?

I've got a several years old Desktop PC and a Macbook Air which I frequently use simultaneously. For many years I've been using a male to male 3.5mm aux cable between the computers, outputting from the Macbook and into the line in on my motherboard, then listening to the input device in windows to hear all sound from the macbook. My desktop then outputted to an amp and hifi system. However, recently I bought a USB DAC to place before my amp to get rid of background noise from inside the PC. Now I'd like to be able get digital sound from my Macbook into my PC then out into that DAC as well in a similar set up.

Perhaps I'm being really stupid but I can't find a simple way after searching online. It occured to me to run a male to male USB cable between the computers since that's how my DAC connects and somehow stream audio over that but I couldn't find any information about making such a connection, is it possible? Also I understand my Macbook can output S/PDIF through the headphone socket but my motherboard has no optical input. I'd rather not but if I bought a soundcard with an optical interface could I input from my Macbook and listen to the device again in Windows? I'm open to all suggestions but would like to keep the cost down as much as possible!

Jan 28, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #2 of 2
You can do it with Ethernet, but it gets a little complicated. Here's an example.

http://www.jplay.eu/ml_post_slider/jplay-dual-pc-mode-how-it-works-why-you-need-it/

If you want to know more about all this, just research it.

But why not just use one of the PCs (by the way, PC just means personal computer, so Windows, Mac, desktop, laptop, tablet...they're all PCs) to store and play the music via USB and use the other computer for whatever else? Or just do everything on one computer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back