Cheap DJ Headphones
May 15, 2011 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nickum32

Head-Fier
So, I'm helping my aspiring DJ friend buy headphones on a budget, less than $50, or even cheaper if available, and he found these Behringer HPX2000: http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-HPX2000-Headphones-High-Definition-DJ/dp/B000IKWBC2/ref=pd_rhf_shvl_2

From what I've gathered on Head-Fi, these are very low quality, even for $30. I'm trying to convince him to at least go with a more reputable budget brand, such as Koss or Sony, if he is not going to do any research. So, does anybody know of any specific models of DJ headphones that I could recommend to him? Also, while it needs to stay under $50, cheaper is better, as he is saving up for other DJ equipment right now.

May 15, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #2 of 9
Why skimp on a good headphone? I doubt any under $50 DJ headphone could sound decent.

I would suggest the Koss Pro DJ 100. It's very small and portable and even folds up somewhat. It will run about $80. The extra $30 will be totally worth it. It's my favorite closed headphone under $200.

It's also not bass heavy like most DJ headphones seem to be...

May 15, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #4 of 9
The only things under $50 with any quality that I can think of are too clunky for DJing. Honestly its a toss-up for anything under about the $100 mark (at which point the "standard" DJ solutions from Technics, Pioneer, etc can actually be compared and chosen on preference), and he might as well just beatmatch with some iBuds (or whatever cheap closed cans you can find locally if he's playing somewhere loud enough for isolation to really matter).

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #7 of 9
Listening to: 'Ain't No Grave' from 'American VI - Ain't No Grave' by 'Johnny Cash' with Media Center 17

There ain't no grave can hold my body down...

What an appropriate song for this moment.

Aug 13, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #8 of 9
Anytime:

Superlux - 661 / 631

Noontec Zoro ( may not be DJ, but something to look into )

Cheerz! 

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #9 of 9
Superlux 661 or Samson SR 850 is definitely your best bang/buck headphone under $50. The only gripe you might have is that they're not really true DJ headphones (you cant swivel the cups and put the phone on your shoulder). Monoprice 8323 is a really good option at $25. Then there's AKG K81DJ > ATH-M30 > Technics > Pioneer > Skullcandy > White van headphones > iBuds.

Honestly the whole DJ headphones for most people is probably a huge waste of money. Don't get me wrong, I've mixed with HD 25 and loved them to death. Unless you are doing real-time mixes like Deadmau5, you don't need audiophile sound to beatmatch. Look at videos of Joe Clausell, Tee Alford, even pictures of Nicki Siano at the Loft back in the 70s and they all use one generic earspeaker on the shoulder only. Crank up your cue volume, and that's all you need. If you are on a budget, see if you can score some as-is headphones from eBay or garage sales to part out, if I was on a budget, I would do that and save the $$ for wax/discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back