cheap clip on/bud/iem for my new found audio snobbery
Dec 5, 2008 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

thoughtcriminal

100+ Head-Fier
I'm planning a road trip tomorrow. I thought I wouldn't bring my V7 because of their size, and decided instead to go through my old earbud collection. Big mistake. My ears have been spoiled now, and the ones I once liked now sound horrific.
I'd like to find something with sound like my V7, reasonably flat sound and crisp. Something with a studio monitor like sound.
These need to be cheap, under $25 as they will be for long travels only.
I also will be using the straight out of my DAP, no amp
They can't have a band, I want them to be able to fit in my pocket easy.

I've heard of the following headphones in my price range
Koss KSC75
JVC marshmallow
Soundmagic PL-20
Soundmagic PL-30
JVC Air cushion
Sennheiser cx300 (whats the differences in the P, B, and S versions?)
Which of these has the best detailed, crisp "studio" sound?

Are there any others I should look into?
For reference, my two "best" current earbuds (not saying much)
Philips SHE5920 - sounds way to boomy. Horrifically colored. No detail at all. only advantage is the soundstage seems good for earbuds
Panasonic RP-HS6 - listenable, but barely. Sound is much flatter than the phillips. Highs are annoying and grating. Very little detail. Love the form factor though

edit: one more thing. Do any of the above have in line volume controls? if so, tell me, as I hate such circuitry. Please if you reccomend any, bear that in mind.

thanks
tc

edit: added poll

Dec 5, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #2 of 24
I'm not terribly familiar with most of the ones you listed but the CX300's I owned until I accidentally snapped the whole damn cord in half one day. Oh well, I got 'em for twenty bucks so it isn't a big deal.

Anyways, I liked the CX300's. They gave me a pretty good seal and sound isolation and the SQ was pretty good considering the price.

Dec 6, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 24
I never tried the Koss 35, but own Air Cushions and PL-30 and would prefer PL-30 for detail. Senn CX300 is supposedly muddy sounding, so couldn't be bothered to try them and Marshmallows are inferior to Air Cushions unless you Kramer mod them.

Dec 6, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #4 of 24
JBuds J2 are $25 on Amazon right now, and from what I'm hearing so far they are very good for the price. Bought a few pair for Christmas gifts, and a pair for myself, too.

Dec 6, 2008 at 12:42 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
KSC-75 by far really. Those voting PL-30's = silly.

Have you ever compared both side by side? And PL-30 gives better isolation (like all IEMs).

Dec 6, 2008 at 12:44 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by feNcheL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you ever compared both side by side? And PL-30 gives better isolation (like all IEMs).

Yes, I have both. For sound quality, the Koss KSC-75 beat the SoundMagic PL-30's. KSC-75 stupidly silly good for their price.
Anyway, none of them would give you 'studio monitor' sound as all of them are tweaked towards a certain sound and none of them are neutral.

The PL-30's, although good for the price, don't beat the KSC-75 SQ wise.
The KSC-75 need burn-in though.

For sub $40, you can't beat it. Nothing can sound quality wise. Headphones, IEM's, canalphones, speakers, doesn't matter.

I really should get around to completing that sub $100 shootout since I have a few of them (see profile).

Dec 6, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #8 of 24
Anyway, is there really any point using a LOD for PL-30's?
confused_face(1).gif

Dec 6, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #9 of 24
I have had KSC-35, Sportapro, and KSC75. I would say the Jbuds J2 are as good with the right tips. The OP says they want a more flat response and for long travels. The SQ lost with the Koss due to the lack of isolation and the J2's more flat response would make them a better choice. I believe the OP wants more detail. I no longer have a Koss to compare directly but I would venture to say they have more detail than the Koss anyway and would preserve more of that detail with their isolation.

Dec 7, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway, is there really any point using a LOD for PL-30's?
confused_face(1).gif

Since I wanted to use an amp with them for a bit of increased bass, I had to use an LOD in order to keep floor noise as low as possible. The combined floor noise of an iPod + LDM+ is not to be underestimated.

Dec 7, 2008 at 12:01 PM Post #13 of 24
I'm really shocked how good the Jbuds J2 Premium are for the price. The only thing I have "high end" to compare the them is the UE Super.fi 5 EB and to my ears the Jbuds are much better. With a good source the detail is amazing.

Dec 7, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nailzs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really shocked how good the Jbuds J2 Premium are for the price. The only thing I have "high end" to compare the them is the UE Super.fi 5 EB and to my ears the Jbuds are much better. With a good source the detail is amazing.

How are they better?
I'm quite skeptical of this statement.

Dec 7, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #15 of 24
I got my hands on one of my friend's J2's and they're nice for the price. They are a bit muddy, as they haven't been burned in yet, but the bass is a bit lacking. I seriously doubt they are more detailed than the UE's though. My opinion is that the J2's are like the ER6i's younger brother. Very analytic. Of course, I only had about 2 hours with them, can't say anything with much finality.

I'd say if you want isolation as well as pretty good SQ, get the J2's. I still feel that the KSC75's are better sounding headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back