cheap cheap turntable
Dec 25, 2008 at 2:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Chone

New Head-Fier
is there a good really cheap turntable i can just plug my headphones into and just look for vinyl. i'm really just looking to be able to listen to vinyl i don't need some fancy set up, just something practical. will i need a preamp or have to hook up some stereo thing to be able to listen to it?

i was thinking about a technics 1200 mk2 but that seems expensive.

then if i need a pre amp i think id get this
http://www.phonopreamps.com/TC-760LCpp.html

any specific wires i'd needs. i know i'd need some cartridges too, but that can come later. any help would be great.

Dec 25, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #2 of 5
Go get an old one at a thrift store, junk shop, garage sale, etc. You should be able to find one on the cheap. Then get the service manual and do all the maintenance and set it up correctly.

Unfortunately, you will need a phono preamp, and won't be able to plug your headphones directly into a turntable. If you want to go cheap, find an old receiver with a phono preamp (most have them) and a headphone jack.

The only new part you'd have to buy would be a cartridge. Those are worth buying new since modern ones are much better than vintage ones. Also, most old ones are shot.

Dec 25, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #3 of 5
Hey, I'm diggin' this thread.
I was thinkin' 1200 mkII or Denon maybe.
I have found a couple in the local paper but always call a minute or two late.
A turntable is definitely in my future for '09.

Dec 25, 2008 at 9:14 AM Post #4 of 5
so whats pre-amp/receiver combo gives me the most performance for the money?

if i bought a receiver and a turntable, would i have to buy a wire seperately?

Dec 25, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so whats pre-amp/receiver combo gives me the most performance for the money?

if i bought a receiver and a turntable, would i have to buy a wire seperately?

A turntable that is plugged into a phono preamp like a TC-750 will provide you with a line level signal equal to the output of a CD player that you can just plug into your headphone amplifier if you have one. Many vintage receivers and integrated amplifiers have RCA phono inputs in the back and headphone output jacks in the front. These units contain both phono preamps and headphone amps which will save you the cost of purchasing both units not to mention the capability of hooking up a pair of speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back