Cheap Cheap Receiver solution
Jul 7, 2008 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Joeshmo39

Head-Fier
I think this is the right forum for this post, not positive. I tried to go over to avsforum for this, but I didn't really like it there. This feels more homey. Anyway, I'm moving into an apartment in a couple months and I need to find a receiver for a couple speakers I pulled out of the attic. They are my moms from the seventies, but they work well enough, I'm not too picky. I will probably just use them for Xbox/TV/music at parties. I will still listen mostly to my Sr225s and Super.fi 5s, the receiver is for gatherings. At some point I will probably buy new speakers, move up in the world, etc etc.
I was wondering how I should do this.
My plan is to get some sort of Cd player on craigslist for like 40 bucks and that should be alright. Now I need a receiver but I"m not sure what brands are decent. I was thinking onkyo, maybe harman or yamaha. I've heard good things about all of them but it seems the stock and models turn over so quickly it's hard to know. I am trying to keep the receiver and player under 200, so pretty skimp budget, I know. Do you think my best bet is to use craigslist/accessories4less. I also heard good things about marantz. So does anyone know of any good deals or good places to look. I don't care about buying second hand/refurbished/ebay, whatever. I just want to get whatever I can for the very little money I have as opposed to going to circuit city and getting some junk box that conducts electricity.

P.S. It would be nice if I could plug an ipod into it. i was thinking HDMI would be nice too, but that may push me out of my price range. Surround sound is unneccessary as i will only live there a year...and am very lazy.

Jul 7, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #3 of 5
If you only need two channel, go vintage. Look at the Salvation Army, Goodwill, other thrift stores, junk stores, Craigslist, garage sales, and so on. Many of the old ones are built better than anything made recently.

Another benefit is a phono stage. If you come across a turntable during your search, think about picking it up. A vintage table and receiver can sound pretty good, and you'll get the benefit of cheap music.

Jul 7, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 5
I hear you about vintage stuff but then I feel i will miss out on some of the new features like USB hookups. I guess i could run my DAP out of the 3.5mm jack and split the signal into red / white for the stereo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back