Cheap cheap amp to start me off
Jul 22, 2008 at 6:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

younglee200

1000+ Head-Fier
I have a Iriver e10 (my main source of music) and TF-10 and Grado Sr-60 at home. I also sometimes listen on the computer but I have such a bad sound card I don't listen on it much.

Anyways, I'd like to get started on the world of amps, and I was hoping if I could get recommendation for a cheap, basic amp that sounds relatively good for a starter(kinda like Grado SR-60; the cheap best starting amp).

Thank you.

Jul 22, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #2 of 35
Check out the $8.50 Fiio Amp thread... bang for buck
wink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/fiio-amps-323979/

Jul 22, 2008 at 9:08 AM Post #3 of 35
I say run while you can. Head-Fi can really burn a hole in your wallet. You haven't bought much yet. There is still hope for you...

Jul 22, 2008 at 10:48 AM Post #5 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by trickywombat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say run while you can. Head-Fi can really burn a hole in your wallet. You haven't bought much yet. There is still hope for you...

I second that.

Jul 22, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #6 of 35
When I do buy an amp, I'm going to get the PA2V2. I hear it's magic with Grados, so you should enjoy them.

Jul 22, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by psyllium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out the $8.50 Fiio Amp thread... bang for buck
wink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/fiio-amps-323979/

I second this recommendation, not only is it insanely inexpensive, it will reduce a little of the "attack" or "in your face" sound of the Grados. I recall those being great sounding headphones, but just a little to upfront, and the sound signature of that amp will alleviate that effect slightly. It will also add a small amount of bass which will probably be helpful.

Jul 23, 2008 at 11:36 AM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by elmer_42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I do buy an amp, I'm going to get the PA2V2. I hear it's magic with Grados, so you should enjoy them.

I ordered the PA2V2 and am excited to get it, I think its a great value for $50! Good starter amp.

Jul 23, 2008 at 11:38 AM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by younglee200 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Iriver e10 (my main source of music) and TF-10 and Grado Sr-60 at home. I also sometimes listen on the computer but I have such a bad sound card I don't listen on it much.

Anyways, I'd like to get started on the world of amps, and I was hoping if I could get recommendation for a cheap, basic amp that sounds relatively good for a starter(kinda like Grado SR-60; the cheap best starting amp).

Thank you.

For $50, the PA2V2 is probably your best bet and Gary (the guy who makes them) is the nicest guy you will ever find. However, and no one else mentioned this yet, is your computer. If you want to improve on your crap soundcard, you will need an amp with a DAC. Cheaper DACs and DAC/amp combos are available on eBay, I'd check into that. Otherwise, and this ain't cheap ($175) is the iBasso D2 Boa, which is getting into a pretty nice quality unit.

Jul 23, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My new FiiO sounds quite a bit better than my PA2V2... more clarity, detail, and precision. Great synergy with phones like the HFI-780 or q-Jays. The bass boost sounds good, better than most MP3 player's software EQ.

Dammit, stop convincing me even more to buy the Fiio :p

Jul 24, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dammit, stop convincing me even more to buy the Fiio :p

Ah, be bold - go on! It's less than buying Shure tips or even a small breakfast
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, be bold - go on! It's less than buying Shure tips or even a small breakfast
biggrin.gif

How long did it take shipping wise for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back