Cheap CDP, under $1000
May 7, 2007 at 7:36 AM Post #16 of 23
Since the quest if for something cheap, I'd have to recommend a decent DVD player as a transport to a seperate quality DAC. There are many DVD players which have excellent digital out. These are superior to an ancient CD transport because the DVD mechanism reads the data much faster than a "real" CD player would, therefore it has to store data in a buffer and re-clock it by definition!
You can verify that by opening the lid of your DVD player (warning: don't look directly into the pickup assembly!!!) and slow down the spinning CD for a split second. The music most likely won't stop because of the deep buffering invloved.
The main factors for sound quality in such a transport are the power supply noise and the local clock jitter. Some are better in that regard and many modders offer improvements for these components. One unit that comes to mind is a Zenith DVB-318, which retails at only $99. It does video quite well too...
I know that many drool over the massive Esoteric and other visually-impressive transports, but in my mind it's money spent on the wrong item. It's nice to have a Ferrari but it won't take you to the grocery store any faster than a cheap pickup truck...

May 7, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin2net /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, if I said i wanted a step up from the refurbed sony 595 as mentioned above, what would it be?

I would just get a new $50 DVD player with 24/192 audio Dac section, Toshiba has very nice sounding CD audio output:
Toshiba
Samsung
Phillips

I don't think Sony uses a 24/192 Dac in newest cheap players yet, these units sound crazy good for next to nothing cost.........comparable to $500 CDP. The downside only very basic control commands for CD playback from remote, must access video based menus for more advanced features.

May 8, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #18 of 23
Well, I'll think about a slim DVD player like you have mentioned, but I'd really like to have a "real" CDP that can play SACDs. How is the NAD C521? I need to find that perfect 7-8 out of 10 transport to go to a DAC.

May 8, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #19 of 23
ce595, and call it a day!
frown.gif
Refurb, preferably...

May 8, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ori /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since the quest if for something cheap, I'd have to recommend a decent DVD player as a transport to a seperate quality DAC. There are many DVD players which have excellent digital out. These are superior to an ancient CD transport because the DVD mechanism reads the data much faster than a "real" CD player would, therefore it has to store data in a buffer and re-clock it by definition!
You can verify that by opening the lid of your DVD player (warning: don't look directly into the pickup assembly!!!) and slow down the spinning CD for a split second. The music most likely won't stop because of the deep buffering invloved.
The main factors for sound quality in such a transport are the power supply noise and the local clock jitter. Some are better in that regard and many modders offer improvements for these components. One unit that comes to mind is a Zenith DVB-318, which retails at only $99. It does video quite well too...
I know that many drool over the massive Esoteric and other visually-impressive transports, but in my mind it's money spent on the wrong item. It's nice to have a Ferrari but it won't take you to the grocery store any faster than a cheap pickup truck...

When is old, umm, ancient bad? The 7700 has seperate lasers for DVD/CD, with a great build quality. Something you cant say about in regards to a 100.00 DVD player. I have the Zenith 318. As a transport my 595 was better when using my DAC1. The 7700 is held in hi regards. Just because it's 6 yrs old doesn't make it lesser then a cheap DVD player..

May 8, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would just get a new $50 DVD player with 24/192 audio Dac section, Toshiba has very nice sounding CD audio output:
Toshiba
Samsung
Phillips

I don't think Sony uses a 24/192 Dac in newest cheap players yet, these units sound crazy good for next to nothing cost.........comparable to $500 CDP. The downside only very basic control commands for CD playback from remote, must access video based menus for more advanced features.

I'm still stuped over this. How can a 50.00 DVD player sound better then a stand a lone CD player for 500.00?

May 8, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #22 of 23
ok, lets put away the CDP for a few minutes... how about a dac? just because the 595 is sub 100 doesnt mean im going to spend 800-900 on a dac. something reasonable, ill be listening to classical (for the meantime through a tomahawk and er4s, k701 in the none too distant future).

edit: new, not used!
wink.gif

May 8, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin2net /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok, lets put away the CDP for a few minutes... how about a dac? just because the 595 is sub 100 doesnt mean im going to spend 800-900 on a dac. something reasonable, ill be listening to classical (for the meantime through a tomahawk and er4s, k701 in the none too distant future).

edit: new, not used!
wink.gif

You should really consider used, man..Get some great stuff.. Like the MF A24 for 600.00 or less.. You said under a grand right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back