Cheap CDP, under $1000
May 5, 2007 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

justin2net

100+ Head-Fier
Currently only a about a quarter (or less) of my classical CD collection has been digitized into FLAC. While I wait for my ER4S and Tomahawk, I'm looking for a small footprint CDP that isnt over a grand, preferably a few hundred. I definitely plan next year to get a k701 and a new amp. But for now, I need something desperately to play my CDs. It doesn't have to be superbly fancy. Im currently researching for a budget DAC that doesnt need aftermarket modifications.

May 5, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #2 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin2net /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Currently only a about a quarter (or less) of my classical CD collection has been digitized into FLAC. While I wait for my ER4S and Tomahawk, I'm looking for a small footprint CDP that isnt over a grand, preferably a few hundred. I definitely plan next year to get a k701 and a new amp. But for now, I need something desperately to play my CDs. It doesn't have to be superbly fancy. Im currently researching for a budget DAC that doesnt need aftermarket modifications.

Look into Arcam, (used) Rega Apollos, NADs even, very good models can be found for under 800!!!!

May 5, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 23
Another option, since you said you are looking for a dac as well, is to get a nice lower priced player to use strictly as a transport and then you could use the dac for both cd and pc playback... It is arguable which is better, a $500 stand alone cd player or a $100 cd player as a transport and a $400 dac.... The dac however can add alot of flexibility.

May 6, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

that sounds like a better plan. i searched but i cant seem to find some recent sub 200 dollar cd players with optical/coax output.

$30 DVD players will have a S/PDIF out.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #7 of 23
The only CD player with a small footprint and good sound quality around that price point is the Eastern Electric Minimax. I think a new one goes for about a $1,000. If you don't need a small footprint, other CD players mentioned above might serve you well.

May 6, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would suggest a Oppo dvd player modded by EVS

Also, Reference Audio Mods does some work with the Oppo as well!

May 7, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

that sounds like a better plan. i searched but i cant seem to find some recent sub 200 dollar cd players with optical/coax output.

Or you can get a good 5-6 yr transport, & use a external DAC.. I'm buying the Sony 7700 for 200.00 (retailed for a 1,000 in 00) to use as a transport for my DAC1. It's still highly regarded as a excellent transport, & like most gear made 5-10 yrs ago, the build quality is excellent. I'm also coming from the Sony 595. My DAC1 mated very well with it. It broke & only had optical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back