Cheap Cd-Player
Oct 6, 2002 at 10:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

ray4jc

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys.

Is there a such things as a decent cd-player to be used with headphones through an amp for around $100 bucks USD. I don't mean a PCDP but a standalone unit?? Anyone?
thanks
ray

Oct 6, 2002 at 10:30 PM Post #2 of 37
Look for used kyocera cd players on ebay. Do not get the Denon DCM-370, it sucks, trust me.

There is one on ebay ending in two hours:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1385591321

just make sure that whatever you buy has a coax out so you can upgrade to a better DAC later on. (kyocera's have these)

Oct 7, 2002 at 12:24 AM Post #3 of 37
The Denon 370 is a nice player for what it cost. I believe Tim is the only one who thinks differently.

Myself and a few others here, who have own the unit, have had no problems with it.

Oct 7, 2002 at 12:50 AM Post #4 of 37
I think that they will be pretty much equal at that price. The good news is if you can solder you can make some improvements.

Oct 7, 2002 at 12:52 AM Post #5 of 37
my problem with the denon is that it sounds artifially warm. It just doesn't have that clarity that higher quality players have. Back in the day, the kyocera cost about 800$ new, and the parts quality is much higher than the denon. Yes, the dac is a bit older, but honestly, the kyocera will still sound better.

Oct 7, 2002 at 2:17 AM Post #6 of 37
Tim: If you remove the headphone jack cord on the denon, the highs become much less fatiguing, and the midrange is more neutral. You really had a beef with yours, didn't you?
wink.gif
I love mine. Great starter cdp.

Oct 7, 2002 at 3:52 AM Post #7 of 37
If used is an option (it must be at that price), I'd think seriously about the Adcom GCD-575. The thing is a tank, and still sounds sweet after several years. Also makes a good transport if you buy an external DAC.

Oct 7, 2002 at 4:03 AM Post #8 of 37
It's really in the next $100 that you'll see some great budget players. If you want something new, it's probably worth the extra investment if you're going to be using an amp as well.

Thanks to kwkarth's tip, I just bought a Sony SCD-CE775 SACD player for $169 from Musician's Friend. Most other places that still have it sell it for around $240 or so.

kerely

Oct 8, 2002 at 2:46 AM Post #10 of 37
I got my Nakamichi for $76 on ebay it was a $800 player originally. Its extremely detailed and just sounds incredible. These players are known to just stop working ever once in a while (my dads did after he owned it for 6 years) but mines a year older than his and it hasnt had a single problem.

Oct 8, 2002 at 4:06 AM Post #11 of 37
I recommend a used Sony ES series player from the mid or late 90s.

I like the Adcom, but I don't know if they can be had all that cheap.

I don't know what model it was, but the Nak CD player I heard several years ago was pretty poor.

Oct 8, 2002 at 8:47 AM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Tim: If you remove the headphone jack cord on the denon, the highs become much less fatiguing, and the midrange is more neutral. You really had a beef with yours, didn't you?
wink.gif
I love mine. Great starter cdp.

I didn't find it to be fatiguing, just inaccurate. The machine sounded more like listening to mid-fi speakers with cotton in my ears than a live concert. I think most of it's popularity is due to the fact that it is one of the cheapest HDCD players on the market. HDCD seems to have been a fluke/gimmick. Perhaps the same will happen with SACD? Only the future will tell. Get a cd player designed for redbook, unless you like the music that is already on SACD. Most of these multi-format players comprimise quality in exchange for versatility. (like a reciever vs. an integrated amp)

Quote:

Originally posted by elrod-tom
If used is an option (it must be at that price), I'd think seriously about the Adcom GCD-575. The thing is a tank, and still sounds sweet after several years. Also makes a good transport if you buy an external DAC.

I'll second this, adcom makes pretty awesome stuff for the money. They are like the "music hall" of amplification.

Oct 8, 2002 at 9:00 PM Post #14 of 37
I got the NAD 502 for 45 $ but I don't really know how it compares to the other suggestions...?? I think it's great.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2002 at 12:06 AM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by Flasken
I got the NAD 502 for 45 $ but I don't really know how it compares to the other suggestions...?? I think it's great.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hard to go wrong at that price....

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Five cans (on a five can scale) for value!!

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back