Cheap cable upgrade for Senn 650's?
Mar 1, 2008 at 4:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Musicboy

100+ Head-Fier
I need a cheap cable upgrade for my sennheiser 650's. I would like to have a cardas cable, but it is too expensive. It has to be around 4 foot and have a miniplug. I found a 4 foot and miniplug cardas cable for 95$, but and i am looking for 20-40$ upgrade cable.

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 11
Most of the decent 650 cables are pretty expensive, unless you make one yourself or have somebody do it custom for you. You might as well not upgrade in this case since the stock cable is pretty good for that price range. The cardas cable isnt much of an upgrade in any aspect compared to the stock one.

Mar 2, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #3 of 11
^ really?

in what aspects?

edit: from what i've read, people seem to really like the cardas
redface.gif

Mar 2, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #5 of 11
hd600 and hd650 stock cables are different.
A cable that can fit on an hd600, will also fit on a hd650.

I know there was a chinese company selling their 3rd party senn upgrade cable for about $60 (dont quote me the price). However I do not know what benefits, if any, this cable will bring.

*edit/update*
Seems it was Head-Direct found here.
They have a DW12 senn cable (in balanced and SE), and ZY senn cable.

Mar 2, 2008 at 9:45 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by barqy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ really?

in what aspects?

edit: from what i've read, people seem to really like the cardas
redface.gif

I have the cardas blue smurf 650 cable, using the 650s they "improve" within 5 maybe maximum 10% over the stock cable. With the cardas is the sound is SLIGHTLY (let me stress that!) less muddy and soundstage is a tiny bit wider. But for some reason I enjoy the stock cable a bit more, the warmth that is designed with the 650 is intacted, plus they are comfortable to wear. For the asking price of the cardas cable I don't think they're worth it at all. Might as well go with another 650 if you're going to even get an aftermarket cable at all. But I've heard the cardas do great with the 600, they just aren't top tier with the 650 (for me anyhow). I'm playing around with an equinox now, it is certainly a lot better than the other 2 cables, while keeping the characteristics of the stock cable, everything sounds clear and effortless, I don't need to turn the volume up to hear details clearly. They aren't cheap though, but so far they've been worth the price, and I still haven't used these for more than 24 hours yet.

Mar 2, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by KarateKid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the cardas blue smurf 650 cable, using the 650s they sound within 5 maybe maximum 10% of the stock cable. Only thing that is different is the sound is slightly less muddy and soundstage is a tiny bit wider. But for some reason I enjoy the stock cable a bit more, plus they are comfortable to wear. For the asking price of the cardas cable I don't think they're worth it at all. Might as well go with another 650 if you're going to even get an aftermarket cable at all. But I've heard the cardas do great with the 600, they just aren't top tier with the 650.

thanks for the input.

i was going to DIY a cardas cable, guess Ill look into other options as well.

any suggestions?

Mar 2, 2008 at 9:53 AM Post #8 of 11
I don't know much about cabling, I'm still a newbie. All I know is a "good" cable doesn't need to be outrageously expensive, all you need is the right mixture of materials. Silver is "faster" and "thinner", copper tends to be "warmer" and "fuller", so take your pick, get the right mixture of both materials depending on your personal taste.

I would just try playing around with short cables from all the different aftermarket cable companies and A/B them extensively. This isn't the cheapest way you can go but of course in the end you will know for sure which one you like better, just return or sell the rest. Failing that if the price tag is too expensive, after you return them all, just get somebody here to do it for you, according to the specs of the cable that you've tried and did like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back