Cheap but good headphones, unamped, for computer.
Jan 7, 2008 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

syndrome

100+ Head-Fier
Fellow Head-Fiers.

Apart from my listening rig, I do spend quite a lot of time in front of my computer, which includes listening to music. My computer have an X-Fi XtremeMusic which I am pleased with, and out of that I run my quarter and kramer modded Porta Pro. Actually, I'm satisfied with this sound and sometimes I can't even believe I'm listening to a pair of Porta Pro because of the awesome SQ.

However they are not very comfortable, and I begin to think I can improve the SQ even MORE. What I'm looking for is something in the $60-$80 range that sounds good without amplification. I'll sum it up like this:

- $60-$80 price range.
- No amplification. (X-Fi -> Phones)
- Open/Closed does not matter.
- Music: Rock, Metal, Electronica, Acoustic, Vocal. I like detail, punch and tight bass.
- Phones, not IEM.

Worth mentioning is that I already own a pair of Grado SR60 which I am using for my bigger rig. Although I love how they sound on my rig, I wasn't very pleased with how they did perform out of my computer. Also, they leak pretty much.

Now, I began looking at AKG K81DJ. I also found some local retailers featuring something called AKG K518, looking awfully similar to K81, except black:

spd_20061225195911_b.jpg

These phones perfectly fit my price range and such, although I have NO idea how they sound.

What do you say?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #2 of 27
Obviously, this thread needs a bump
wink.gif

Jan 8, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by coredump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't care if they are open or closed but you don't like the leakage of the SR60? You better go closed.

No, I don't mind open/closed, but SR60 is on a whole different level. The leakage from those phones are extreme
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #5 of 27
HD485 or HD555 I had the 485 and now have the 555. Very nice unamped, drives really really good out of my X-fi. Needs about 50-60% of the X-fi volume tab to be really good sounding.

The HD555 is more defined than the HD485, less bass but much clearer sounding when compared side-by-side to the HD485. But the HD485 was my first real pair of quality headphones and it did a GREAT job for the money, I think I paid $60?

I watched movies with the HD485, and the mids were nice and warm sounding, I LOVED them watching Lord of the Rings: FOTR

I highly recommend either one, the HD485 should be about 60% of the cost of the HD555 in US dollars of course.

Jan 8, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 27
aZn_plyR: You haven't compared them to the AKG's? I've read different opinions about the HD555/595, and a lot of people seem to dislike them
frown.gif

Jan 9, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #7 of 27
You are right the AKG K81 DJ is the same as AKG K518 DJ.
K518 is the new model which is the same but in black and costs slightly more.
Sorry haven't listened to them yet.

Jan 9, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #8 of 27
If the issue with portapros was comfort over extended periods of time you DEFINETLY do not want the AKG K81/K518.

If you are looking for comfort Senn HD485/HD555 is the way to go. They aren't particularly punchy, however.

Speaking from experience.

Jan 9, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #9 of 27
You might want to have a look at the Senn HD-215. Great sounding phone that can be had for a bargin price and sounds perfect for what you listen to. I often prefer them to my MS1's and I drive them with my X-fi too.

Jan 9, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #10 of 27
If you plan on going unamped, the HD-555 would be a great set of cans for your computer. I've been using mine for 2 years now (they're on my head right now) and I think they are a absolutely great set of cans for music, movie watching as well as gaming (if you're looking for directionality in gaming). I use them with my X-Fi at about 20-25% volume and they get very loud and very punchy. I dont see why an earlier post mentioned they are not punchy. I actually prefer these to my SR-225s most of the time. They are very very comfortable for prolonged periods of listening. Maybe I just love the Sennheiser sound?? who knows!! But alot of people do! Dont be discouraged by some people's comments. You have to realize that there are some very critical people here that look for perfection. Take the plunge! Once you break them in for about 200 hours you'll never want to take them off.

Jan 9, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #11 of 27
I did not say they were not punchy, just has less but better bass than the HD485-( which are known to be warm and bassy ). I said that both the HD485 and HD555 were perfect for him at his price range.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #12 of 27
Thanks for all the answers.
Yes, I plan to go unamped on my computer at the moment, however planning to go for a HeadRoom TotalHead later (LATER!).

Thank you for your post Enigmatx, it helped a lot. I feel more comfortable with buying HD555 now
smily_headphones1.gif

You haven't compared HD215 and HD555 now have you?
wink.gif

Jan 9, 2008 at 12:51 PM Post #13 of 27
HD555. Ive owned mine for well over a year (havnt seen much use since the dt770s). They are great right out of my computer, so they should be fine out of a high quality sound card. Definitely do not need an amp. They do leak at high volumes though. I don't know how bad it is compared to the grados though.

I cant offer comparisons to the other HFs you mentioned, but I do know for the price, and what you want them for, they will work great.

Jan 9, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #14 of 27
So I decided and placed an order on the HD555's. Will pick them up tomorrow or friday at the store. Thanks for all the replies and help
smily_headphones1.gif

Problem being, it's still only the beginning of January and I'm near broke. This will be one hungry month
frown.gif

God dammit Head-fi.

Jan 10, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #15 of 27
So I picked them up today. I'm totally digging my new cans
smily_headphones1.gif

They are amazing for vocal music like Norah Jones, but I'm also enjoying them for some electronica. They handle The Knife pretty well!

Let's see how well they play Tool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back