Cheap but decent quality amp for 250 ohm headphones?
May 14, 2014 at 9:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

newn

New Head-Fier
I'm new to this, so I don't really know much about amps yet, however I know that the headphones that I currently like the most (Beyerdynamics DT990) are gonna require 250 ohms to be used at its full potential. I'm gonna use them only on my computer, not on anything else, so the amp doesn't have to be portable (though if it is due to it being cheaper - I don't care, as long as I can use it with my PC without any issues), in fact - it can even be a sound card, though sound card seems to pick up on static created by the other components (I've Creative X-FI ExtremeGamer).

I'd like to spend up to say... $50 or so. That'd be perfect price-wise, if it's possible. The store where I'm gonna buy it is amazon.co.uk, so you can check the prices there for reference (though it's in pounds) - I'm from Europe, not the US. If it's not possible to get a decent quality amp, what would be required then to be able to buy a decent quality amp?

As far as I know, a poor/mediocore quality amp could make the sounds distorted/too bass-y/too high highs/etc., which I obviously don't want to, considering I'm buying headphones worth $200 that do provide very high quality sound. I'm gonna buy them in 2-4 weeks (unless I'll come up with some better choice, but so far - I really like them a lot), the same goes for the amp.

Oh, I'm gonna be using them for games, movies and of course music, if that matters. The sound card will not be able to handle them, unfortunately. At least not to the full potential. I'd have to buy the 80 ohm version, but apparently the 250 ohm version does have lower distortions/inequalities in mids/highs/lows, so I'd prefer that - even though I'm not an audiophile, I am very sensitive to sounds, I could pinpoint the differences between various headphones rather easily without having any experience in the music industry nor ever having used high quality headphones before.

If you need to ask something - please do so.

Thanks!

EDIT: Side-question: right now there's static in my headphones, whether I'm using on-board or the sound card, as far as I know, it's due to the electronics inside the case. It's very annoying and interferes with the quality of especially quieter scenes (music and movies mostly, sometimes games too). Would it still be present if I bought a sound card and is there any way of eliminating it?

May 15, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #2 of 3
Sell off the XtremeGamer and buy a Sound Blaster Z

May 15, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #3 of 3
  Sell off the XtremeGamer and buy a Sound Blaster Z

I just re-googled it for more info and some reviews. Turns out the forum info was wrong - it's for up to 600 ohms. Does it provide good sound quality? The OEM version I could afford - $80.

I'm also a bit worried about static that I can hear with my current card and my on-board audio (edited the OP for more info).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back