cheap audiophile-grade power cord?
Nov 9, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #31 of 62
LOL! I don't know what it is, but it sure sounds fine. 
bigsmile_face.gif

BTW, welcome aboard. 

Nov 9, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #32 of 62

Quote:
So to the "buy expensive power cables" group I ask: how far back do you run this upgrade? The power cable goes from the connector on the piece of equipment to the wall outlet. Did you upgrade the wall outlet? What about the cable that runs from the wall outlet to the breaker? Did you also upgrade any other outlets that are wired in serial? Did you upgrade the breaker that connects your wall cable to the mains? Did you replace the power-company's stepdown transformer that gave you 120V (or whatever runs where you are)? Did you have the power company upgrade the wire running to your house from the 20kv transformer?

Even assuming that there was a difference between the best "audophile grade" cable and 8ga aluminum: I'm just trying to understand how one comes to the belief that improving the couple of feet from the wall to the equipment is enough to have any effect on power that has dozens of miles of "non-audiophile" gear upstream.

Yes to all of the above
biggrin.gif

Seriously though, how does someone explain that a 6ft power cord makes a difference when power wires run for miles?

Nov 9, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #33 of 62

It sounds like you haven't auditioned many power cables? Like anything it takes a little experience to know what you are talking about.
Quote:
Yes to all of the above
biggrin.gif

Seriously though, how does someone explain that a 6ft power cord makes a difference when power wires run for miles?

Nov 10, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #34 of 62
X2

It baffles me, but after 30+ years in electrical engineering (computer design), I am baffled that I cannot explain away the differences I hear with different power cables, but I trust my ears and my experience. The premise that because there are miles of wire ahead of the last two meters has been turned on its head, and became--for me--the two most important meters into my music system. 

It's best to keep an open mind on these things, otherwise it would be too easy to rationalize away a good opportunity for improved sound quality. Of course, it doesn't mean you have to spend a lot of $, but experience is the best teacher in this case, not measurements (at least nothing comes to mind about measuring soundstage, definition and resolution). I think BIG POPPA has a good approach when it comes to power cords, but you can search for his posts on the subject.

As for my personal music system, all my audio components get power conditioning (2.4KVA balanced isolation xformer), and associated quality AC cords, yes from the wall forward (including replacing the AC outlet).    

Quote:
It sounds like you haven't auditioned many power cables? Like anything it takes a little experience to know what you are talking about.

Nov 10, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #35 of 62
I am an open book, make the cables I use. Tried all kinds of stuff making cables. Have a clue what works with what. It is not Rocket Science, just power cables.

Nov 10, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #36 of 62
Hi BIG POPPA,

I was agreeing with you
bigsmile_face.gif
, and recommending that kite7 keep an open mind about the possibility of how an AC power cable can contribute to sound quality, as well as suggesting that he search your threads on DIY AC power cables.

Nope, not rocket science, but as you said, a bit of experience goes a long ways. How many weeks, months, years, did it take you to come up with a cable that you eventually settled on? 

Quote:
I am an open book, make the cables I use. Tried all kinds of stuff making cables. Have a clue what works with what. It is not Rocket Science, just power cables.

Nov 10, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #37 of 62
I know you were agreeing with me my friend. Some people don't though.

Quote:
Hi BIG POPPA,

I was agreeing with you
bigsmile_face.gif
, and recommending that kite7 keep an open mind about the possibility of how an AC power cable can contribute to sound quality, as well as suggesting that he search your threads on DIY AC power cables.

Nope, not rocket science, but as you said, a bit of experience goes a long ways. How many weeks, months, years, did it take you to come up with a cable that you eventually settled on? 

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #39 of 62
Hey Rdr, I have some odd pieces of power cable if you like try some?

Nov 10, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #41 of 62
The other odd thing is all the people experinced with live music running with normal power cables, normal interconnects, generic speaker wire, generic (built in) DAC's and making lifelike results. Why can't thy hear how crappy their music must sound given that it is missing all those things which make drastic improvements?

Nov 10, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #42 of 62
[size=medium]

There are a lot of folks that pay no attention to what I hear, or don't think that it's relevant to their musical experience. Same with my passion for photography. After spending hours PS burning and dodging, white balancing, color correction, noise reduction, sharpening, etc., and think that I have a "masterpiece," I still get the "nice snapshot" review
confused_face.gif
. Same with audio. Some people hear it, and some don't. Some try to rationalize it with science, some through experience and time in the saddle.

Heck, we have several professional musician's in the family (that actually make a living as opera singers in Europe, Jazz in USA), and for the most part they don't give a hoot about sound reproduction, except to note e.g. "that was a perfect rendition of Mozart's Faust!" You just don't hear them talking about "air," "soundstage," or "extension at both ends," not to mention anything about what conductors are used in my music system. They are more concerned about intonation, "hitting the note," the execution and performance.

I should also mention that I have some musician friends (they don't make their living performing), who do hear a difference. However, they are the exception, and not the rule.   

Generally, I believe audiophiles fall into a whole "other" category of music appreciation and reproduction. Most of us are not scientists, but many of us have a science or engineering background, and sometimes we rationalize that we know the "truth" about sound reproduction. With my engineering training and practice over many years, I have settled on what I enjoy doing, listening to music with the best-est "stuff" I can afford at the moment. My musical enjoyment is based on sensory experience, an existential approach (though not entirely disparaging of the objectivist approach), in the moment, and I'm happy with that. For me, I find that AC power cords make a difference, as do IC's, power conditioning, etc. Some products make a difference to me and other's do not. More importantly, some products enhance my listening experience, and other's only make a difference. I differentiate the products that enhance my listening experience over those that I only detect a difference with. I use my own best judgement about what is a meaningful difference to me musically, based on my personal perception and that has a higher level importance. 

[/size]

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #43 of 62
My thought process was always to use high-end audiophile power cables from the power conditioning gear to the audio gear.

I too dont really see the point from the wall to the power conditioning gear unless you upgrade the wall socket, the in-wall wiring, power breaker/panel, etc.

Anyways...have you looked at Cobalt Cable's power cables? They are low priced considering how much these cables can go for and really nice quality in my opinion. I got mine used, but I would definitely buy them new if I had to.

Nov 10, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #45 of 62
The rail voltage coming off a power supply doesn't vary from moderate fluctuations in the voltage coming in. This is an area heavily explored in amplification, but also in supplying power to electronics. Put simply: Your amp's power supply is a line conditioner.

There is no insturment that bears your theory out. If there is an effect, it is below the noise floor (try cooling your equuipment for better sound. That will at lest detect on a meter).

There is no science behind it either. No reason this would make a difference.

The deciding test is verboden.

So, if you are open to all possibilities; does that include the possibility that the difference is imagined?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back