Charlotte, NC Meet: April 19th 2014
Dec 29, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #16 of 530
All went well so I ended up picking up the mystery amp
So I can reveal it now: Kevin Gilmore Blue Hawaii

Clean build in and out, 1 case with psu inside but zero noise floor, and lots of voltage for the o2.
It's a hefty amp but sounds great!

Jan 2, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #20 of 530
I'm going to arbitrarily throw out the date of Saturday, April 5th as a proposed date so we can begin the planning and figure out scheduling conflicts. I realize though, that it is still early and peoples' plans can change. Just trying to get an Idea though.

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #22 of 530
I'm going to arbitrarily throw out the date of Saturday, April 5th as a proposed date so we can begin the planning and figure out scheduling conflicts. I realize though, that it is still early and peoples' plans can change. Just trying to get an Idea though.

I'm in.

Jan 4, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #23 of 530
Just a reminder my personal gear list is very tenative since I've been flip flopping around about what I want with my tax refund.  I was originally going to upgrade my DAC and buy either a K812 or LCD-X but now (or for the moment) I think I'm going to just upgrade my DAC to a Concero HD and instead buy a new Macbook pro as my music and casual use computer (Kinda sad when the cost of a headphone can buy you a well spec'd Macbook pro 
eek.gif
 ).  I'm currently using a very large and noisy desktop gaming PC as my main source.  And I've always been curious of the OSX music player software available.

I've owned the original Concero and the HD upgrade seems like it should offer a reasonable improvement, especially with my USB battery.  I maybe may still get an HE-500, especially if I can find a used one, but I'm on the fence since I've only heard and owned the HE-6.  My current K712 continues to impress me and I think some of you meet veterans will enjoy this one alot, especially compared to the older K701.  And my previous main headphone was an HD-800 if that says anything.  I can't wait to hear it on some of the high end stuff.

Jan 5, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #24 of 530
I'm available any time march/april

Probably be me and a guest

I can bring a schiit mjolnir, schiit gungnir(if the statement dac is out by then I will aim to bring that), Stax sr007 mk1, sold the srm-323s I've been using with it yesterday but there is a badass ?mystery¿ amp that I'm going to audition, if everything works out I will add it to the list on the 28th

Also if there is interest I can bring an objective 2 amp and a project ember amp that will surely be done by then

Oh, and I totally forgot to mention, you MUST bring that project ember amp. A very senior head-fi member, Asr, was raving in the K712 thread about how when he paired the K712 with the ember amp, he thought it sounded better than HD800 and Audezes in some regards. And this is not a member that's particularly prone to hype and hyperbole. I think the Soloist drives it pretty well myself, but it does make me quite curious:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/659251/the-akg-k712-pro-support-and-appreciation-thread/2415#post_10088643

His "Wow" impressions are with a different tube rolled in though. I've been impressed but it's good to be validated.

Jan 5, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #25 of 530
Hey Josh I'll make sure it's ready to bring, in fact I'll order my fav tube with the k701 and the lyr to swap out(they have it cheap on the garage1217 website)

Would like to check out the lcdx or k812 but I love my MBP so I don't blame you

Been thinking about changing out my gear plan as well. I picked up another pair of o2mk1's from the fellow I bought the amp from. If I can sell one I'll probably take that + taxes and get a 009. The only issue is they are on 3-4 months back order so it might be tight for the meet but I would like to get folks input on it, as far as keeping it or selling it and getting the ygg as planned.

Jan 5, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #26 of 530
Hey Josh I'll make sure it's ready to bring, in fact I'll order my fav tube with the k701 and the lyr to swap out(they have it cheap on the garage1217 website)

Would like to check out the lcdx or k812 but I love my MBP so I don't blame you

Been thinking about changing out my gear plan as well. I picked up another pair of o2mk1's from the fellow I bought the amp from. If I can sell one I'll probably take that + taxes and get a 009. The only issue is they are on 3-4 months back order so it might be tight for the meet but I would like to get folks input on it, as far as keeping it or selling it and getting the ygg as planned.

Awesome. Thanks, man. The MBP + Concero HD + Soloist will be a very clean and simple but effective setup at it's price point. And who know, perhaps maybe I can haggle down for a K812 still, just don't want to pay $1500 retail for it. And I know I'm not haggling down an LCD-X by any reasonable amount. And yes, now that you have the Blue Hawaii, you'll eventually have to go 009 if you can afford it, haha. I remember my very first meet in San Diego in 2011, I got to hear a Head-Fi veteran 'stat user N3rdling's setup. At the time it consisted of a Headamp BHSE, Accuphase CDP, and O2mk1 (009 had yet to exist). Playing some acoustic/folk type stuff was a very silky and ethereal experience compared to my R1 LCD-2 at the time.

Ironically, when I heard the 009 + RSA amp at the 2012 Charlotte meet, I wasn't really that impressed in the same way as the other setup. I actually enjoyed the Jade 'stat a bit more from that meet. Perhaps it was just the music selection or insufficient listening level than my norm.

Also, you could check out pricejapan.com for the 009 direct from Japan. And it's much cheaper than buying local. I've bought the AD2000X from them with no problems and quick shipping:

http://www.pricejapan.com/front/e_good_info.php?code=1048&category=10

EDIT: Whoops....just noticed it's backorded there too. And personally, I'd upgrade your source first from the Gungnir anyways. Especially with that caliber of amp and 'phones.

Jan 5, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #27 of 530
I was just thinking if alpha chicken can make it he still has a lyr and a variety of tubes we might could try as well.

Yeah I don't if n3rdling did back then but he has one of the sickest stat collections on headfi

I heard ray's combo that meet as well and wasn't particularly fond of it. I'm hoping on familiar gear and music I'll like it better

Yep that's where I would be picking them up, glad to hear you had a positive experience

I dig the gung presentation with the o2, but an upgrade is on my short list

We can switch to pm if you think we're getting to OT

Jan 5, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #28 of 530
I was just thinking if alpha chicken can make it he still has a lyr and a variety of tubes we might could try as well.

Yeah I don't if n3rdling did back then but he has one of the sickest stat collections on headfi

I heard ray's combo that meet as well and wasn't particularly fond of it. I'm hoping on familiar gear and music I'll like it better

Yep that's where I would be picking them up, glad to hear you had a positive experience

I dig the gung presentation with the o2, but an upgrade is on my short list

We can switch to pm if you think we're getting to OT

PM sounds good. I like keep the thread updated with gear. It's what pulls the lurkers out of the woods to the meets, so to speak. It's what got me to go to my first in San Diego, and finally register an account here after lurking on and off since 2005.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back