Channel Islands VDA-1 w/ VAC-1 first impressions / review
Jul 10, 2005 at 10:53 AM Post #47 of 68
The comparison between the CIAudio and the DAC1 is very interesting.
However don't forget the DAC1 has more features -- including headphone jack and a volume knob that means it can also act as a preamp.

So (prices as new):

Benchmark DAC1 $975

vs.

CIAudio VDA1 DAC: $349
CIAudio VHP1 Headphone amp: $349
CIAudio VPC1 Passive Preamp: $249

total: $947

(plus, you may want 2x VAC1 upgrade power supplies, one for the DAC, one for the headphone amp, cost $159 each or $318 for a pair).

http://www.ciaudio.com

Haven't heard either of them (DAC1 or CIAudio), but I'm in the market for such a setup.... and am leaning towards CIAudio, based on alot of the reviews I've been reading and the fact that it offers a neat upgrade path if you don't want to (or have the cash to!) buy all in one go.

food for thought.

Akwok: by the way, great thread you started here. Don't take the criticism personally. My advice would be to take four or five of your favourite tunes (encoded in WAV or lossless) and try a true A/B comparison between the Onkyo soundcard and the CIaudio DAC.
It's the best way to compare: get to know the songs and the instruments and their placement in the soundstage back to front, play them through each one and make some notes -- and post them.
Try a bit of acoustic, classical, electronic, rock, jazz.....

all best, stefan

Jul 10, 2005 at 12:43 PM Post #48 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by stefan
The comparison between the CIAudio and the DAC1 is very interesting.
However don't forget the DAC1 has more features -- including headphone jack and a volume knob that means it can also act as a preamp.

So (prices as new):

Benchmark DAC1 $975

vs.

CIAudio VDA1 DAC: $349
CIAudio VHP1 Headphone amp: $349
CIAudio VPC1 Passive Preamp: $249

total: $947

(plus, you may want 2x VAC1 upgrade power supplies, one for the DAC, one for the headphone amp, cost $159 each or $318 for a pair).

http://www.ciaudio.com

Haven't heard either of them (DAC1 or CIAudio), but I'm in the market for such a setup.... and am leaning towards CIAudio, based on alot of the reviews I've been reading and the fact that it offers a neat upgrade path if you don't want to (or have the cash to!) buy all in one go.

food for thought.

Akwok: by the way, great thread you started here. Don't take the criticism personally. My advice would be to take four or five of your favourite tunes (encoded in WAV or lossless) and try a true A/B comparison between the Onkyo soundcard and the CIaudio DAC.
It's the best way to compare: get to know the songs and the instruments and their placement in the soundstage back to front, play them through each one and make some notes -- and post them.
Try a bit of acoustic, classical, electronic, rock, jazz.....

all best, stefan

hi all!

Actually does the passive pre-amp help improving the SQ?

cuz there's a volume control on the headamp already

is it necessary to have another dedicated pre-amp connecting the DAC and headamp?
confused.gif

Jul 10, 2005 at 1:18 PM Post #49 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fr_eak
hi all!

Actually does the passive pre-amp help improving the SQ?

cuz there's a volume control on the headamp already

is it necessary to have another dedicated pre-amp connecting the DAC and headamp?
confused.gif

Good question.
On the back of the CIAudio headphone amp there is just a pair of input RCA sockets and a pair of "loop" sockets which, I imagine, bypass the volume control. Can't be sure though.

As an afterthought, when comparing the CIAudio DAC with the Onkyo card, bear in mind the DAC has a more powerful signal output (2.4V rms I think), whereas I guess the souncard's output is much lower (soundcards are usually around 1v rms. so on casual comparison, the DAC will have (i think) much more "oomph" at the same volume setting, as they say in audiophile BS....
tongue.gif

Jul 10, 2005 at 1:29 PM Post #50 of 68
The DAC1's preamp feature is nice to have. However, what's really interesting to me is the DAC1's balanced outputs
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2005 at 2:24 PM Post #51 of 68
Obviously the DAC1 has some fetures that the VDA does not, and if you need something like balanced outs then the VDA is not the way to go... however if you are just looking for a good DAC then the VDA certianly is one...and is there anyone that actually uses the headphone out in the DAC1?... not many if they do.

... now if Benchmark could relize that not only studios use their DAC1 and maybe come out with a stand alone DAC (no amp) then it would surely be something special!

Jul 10, 2005 at 2:31 PM Post #52 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
...and is there anyone that actually uses the headphone out in the DAC1?... not many if they do.

Actually, most people on Head-Fi use the headphone outs of the DAC1, assuming that they don't use the balanced outputs instead
tongue.gif

Jul 10, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #54 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Actually, most people on Head-Fi use the headphone outs of the DAC1, assuming that they don't use the balanced outputs instead
tongue.gif

not that i know of. the headamp stage of the DAC-1 is not particularly well thought of, being compared in quality to a Pimeta. i know i don't particularly care for the DAC-1's headamp stage, and would use it is a source only if i owned one.

Jul 10, 2005 at 5:09 PM Post #55 of 68
When using the headphone out of the DAC1 and comparing it to my AOS Flute, I preferred the Flute by a large margin when driving my K340's or my K271S'. When maxing out the volume on the Flute and sending the output to an amp and comparing it to the DAC1 used as only a DAC, the DAC1 edged ahead of the Flute in performance... still not enough to warrant its cost IMO though. My personal opinion on the DAC1 is that it is only worth your time if you are going to both take advantage of its DVD-A capabilities and its balanced output. Otherwise it is uninspiring.

Jul 10, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #56 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
not that i know of. the headamp stage of the DAC-1 is not particularly well thought of, being compared in quality to a Pimeta. i know i don't particularly care for the DAC-1's headamp stage, and would use it is a source only if i owned one.

I was just basing this statement on people's signatures. Maybe they haven't updated their sigs lately
frown.gif

Jul 11, 2005 at 6:26 AM Post #57 of 68
Quote:

The DAC1's preamp feature is nice to have. However, what's really interesting to me is the DAC1's balanced outputs
smily_headphones1.gif

Balanced outs is an advantage. Another is that the preamp section of the DAC1 has adjustable gain (thru jumpers apparently).

Jul 11, 2005 at 7:35 AM Post #58 of 68
Add me to the list of those curious individuals wondering if the VDA-1 is better. I love my emu-1212M modded by Iron_Dreamer, but you know what they say : you never know what you are missing. The review makes it sound like an outstanding piece of equipment, but not everyone prefers DAC-1 to the EMU card. Seeing how grandenigma1 pointed out VDA-1 is quite similar to DAC-1 sonically, I am inclined to believe it tends to be more analytical and faster, at the cost of some musicality and warmth. Of course, just speculating here, no concrete proofs to be found in my assumtion. Yet I would love to try it out with my ppx3 to see if its worth it; if it does surpass the emu with regards to my own tastes then i might possibly upgrade
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2005 at 12:03 PM Post #59 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer
Add me to the list of those curious individuals wondering if the VDA-1 is better. I love my emu-1212M modded by Iron_Dreamer, but you know what they say : you never know what you are missing. The review makes it sound like an outstanding piece of equipment, but not everyone prefers DAC-1 to the EMU card. Seeing how grandenigma1 pointed out VDA-1 is quite similar to DAC-1 sonically, I am inclined to believe it tends to be more analytical and faster, at the cost of some musicality and warmth. Of course, just speculating here, no concrete proofs to be found in my assumtion. Yet I would love to try it out with my ppx3 to see if its worth it; if it does surpass the emu with regards to my own tastes then i might possibly upgrade
smily_headphones1.gif

From other reviews and impressions, I've heard that the DAC1 is the opposite of musical and warm -- sterile, cold, analytical. However, your PPX3 may restore alot of the warmth that you are looking for.

Jul 11, 2005 at 12:23 PM Post #60 of 68
Quote:

From other reviews and impressions, I've heard that the DAC1 is the opposite of musical and warm -- sterile, cold, analytical. However, your PPX3 may restore alot of the warmth that you are looking for.

It sure does....that is the setup I have...well minus the emu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back