Channel Islands VDA-1 w/ VAC-1 first impressions / review
Jun 30, 2005 at 6:42 AM Post #16 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by dano1122
did you ever consider a modded emu0404/1212m or a headroom dac? why/why not?

The Headroom DAC killed me off because the input jacks are in the front, plus there was no TOSLink connector. gpalmer looked at the Headroom DAC a few days ago, and did not seem to like it much.

A modded emu0404/1212m in my opinion does not stand a chance against an external DAC, Headroom or CIAudio or Ack. My Onkyo SE-90PCI is supposed to be between an 0404 and a 1212, but the VDA-1 obliterated the SE-90PCI. It was LEAGUES away from the SE-90PCI, and the same can be said for many other sound cards I believe.

Jun 30, 2005 at 12:26 PM Post #17 of 68
Tell us more! I'm very interested in this DAC.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 4:26 AM Post #18 of 68
Well, I don't really know what to say.. except that it destroys the EAD-1000 DAC and as a result demolishes the Onkyo SE-90PCI. It improves everything; the soundstage, the detail, the speed. I can only imagine that it is an improvement on most < $300 computer sound cards.

If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask!

Jul 1, 2005 at 4:54 AM Post #19 of 68
Thanks for the review akwok. Good read.

These show up on Audiogon occasionally and I tried to buy the combo twice. Kept going back and forth between it and a Scott Nixon, which eventually I was able to snatch first. Good to know either would have been a good choice.
wink.gif

I see 6moons just reviewed the VHP-1 & VAC-1.

Jul 7, 2005 at 11:54 AM Post #21 of 68
Excellent review. VERY interesting to hear the CIAudio DAC beats the Onkyo soundcard.
This DAC has been getting excellent reviews. I'm jealous of those who live in the US, because you can get the CIAudio products for 30 day home trial.
By the way, the CIAudio headphone amp has also been getting rave reviews too. Maybe worth a try.

Jul 8, 2005 at 5:25 PM Post #24 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
Well, I don't really know what to say.. except that it destroys the EAD-1000 DAC and as a result demolishes the Onkyo SE-90PCI. It improves everything; the soundstage, the detail, the speed. I can only imagine that it is an improvement on most < $300 computer sound cards.

If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask!

the stock/original/unmodded VDA-1 w/ VAC-1 beat my 1212M in every aspects too
icon10.gif

Jul 8, 2005 at 5:42 PM Post #25 of 68
Quote:

The amp is very solid

Is it an AMP or a DAC ??

Quote:

The power supply is the same thing as the DAC, but without an LED. It is quite heavy considering it's small size, and is able to be stacked on top of the DAC (or below) without scratching or rubbing the faceplates together.

It is a power supply...power supplies are heavy because of the transformer, heatsinks etc.

Quote:

Detail is also improved significantly; I could hear many imperfections in AC/DC's Back In Black

Quote:

Upon further listening this amp shines EXTREMELY well in 'poor' recordings for some reason; listening to a couple of Nirvana tracks it does not sound as bad as it did before, and the detail is just.. wow

You also said that poor recordings were more "listenable" - isnt this a contradiction? the contradiction is - you hear imperfections in certain albums but they get smoothed over in other albums and the DAC is still a detail freak? I am thoroughly confused
confused.gif

No offense but I think you are throwing around a lot of "audiophile" terms and I believe you havent fully sorted them out first.

Quote:

A modded emu0404/1212m in my opinion does not stand a chance against an external DAC, Headroom or CIAudio or Ack

Have you done any actual testing to support these claims? Have you heard an EMU1212 or 0404 yourself or is this all just pure hearsay?

Quote:

My Onkyo SE-90PCI is supposed to be between an 0404 and a 1212

Seriously..."supposed to be" "according to XXXX.com" etc. etc. should NOT feature in these reviews. If you are stating your opinion then please limit yourself to gear that you are expressly familiar with and discard the baggage comments.

Quote:

but the VDA-1 obliterated the SE-90PCI. It was LEAGUES away from the SE-90PCI, and the same can be said for many other sound cards I believe

I can gather that the VDA-1 is better sounding than the SE-90PCI but please dont try to expand your observations over gear that you have little or no experience with.

Jul 8, 2005 at 6:14 PM Post #26 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fr_eak
the stock/original/unmodded VDA-1 w/ VAC-1 beat my 1212M in every aspects too
icon10.gif

There you go GS.

Jul 8, 2005 at 6:25 PM Post #27 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Is it an AMP or a DAC ??

Do not nitpick a writing error. You know damned well what I meant.

Quote:

It is a power supply...power supplies are heavy because of the transformer, heatsinks etc.

Did I say otherwise? Of course I know what a power supply is. I am stating that it is heavy. In computer-based power supplies, more than likely the heaviness of a PSU results in a better peformer (resulting in beefier caps, while not always necessary true). What is wrong with me stating that the PSU is heavy?

Quote:

You also said that poor recordings were more "listenable" - isnt this a contradiction? the contradiction is - you hear imperfections in certain albums but they get smoothed over in other albums and the DAC is still a detail freak? I am thoroughly confused
confused.gif

They are more listenable due to the toned down harshness of the lows, I suppose. I am only stating what I heard. Is there anything wrong with that? It IS more detailed on well recorded material than the Onkyo, and it DOES handle poorly recorded songs better.

Quote:

No offense but I think you are throwing around a lot of "audiophile" terms and I believe you havent fully sorted them out first.

What audiophile terms? I said it was more 'listenable'.

Quote:

Have you done any actual testing to support these claims? Have you heard an EMU1212 or 0404 yourself or is this all just pure hearsay?

There is a guy on top of your post who just stated that it outperforms the EMU1212. I recall another post by another member who said something along those lines too.

Wow.. thanks for destroying my day.

Jul 8, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #28 of 68
Quote:

There is a guy on top of your post who just stated that it outperforms the EMU1212. I recall another post by another member who said something along those lines too.

Wow.. thanks for destroying my day.

I would not be surprised to hear the VDA1/VAC is better, considering it costs more than twice as much as the 1212m. I don't think GS meant anything negative, just its better for everyone if reviews are keep closer to gear you have or are familiar with to compare agaist, we all appreciate your awesome review
600smile.gif

Jul 8, 2005 at 7:33 PM Post #29 of 68
I know it is easy to think that I am being overly negative here but the facts are clear - you have needlessly dragged in gear that you have no experience with. Hence the request to avoid using "hearsay" in your reviews.

I have heard the CI Audio DAC and it did sound very good indeed. How it will compare with the Ack! DACK V2.0 is what I am interested in finding out because I am in the market for a good dedicated DAC.

As for ruining your day...sorry to pour water on your enthusiastic review. Have fun with your new toy. Just realize that the PSU is a heavy block and shouldnt be kicked around
smily_headphones1.gif

A few requests:

* Can you measure the width of the front panel
* Measure distance between the two front feet
* Measure distance between the front and rear feet

Why?

Just wondering if these would sit on top of my CDP and look the part
wink.gif

thanks.

gs

Jul 8, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #30 of 68
akwok - seriously I felt issues with your "review" also; the same as the one's as in your initial thread... you remember "Onkyo SE-90PCI Sound Card : First impressions."

Quote:

It costs twice as much as the EMU-0404, but I believe that it is worth it. I am also pretty sure it outperforms the EMU-0404.. however, I cannot make a valued judgement as I have never tried it.

many responded to that in this vain, Quote:

"No offence, but that is a horrible review, if you can even call it one.

Why even mention the 0404? You might as well say it sounds better than some 4k CDP that you have never heard either. Please just post your impressions based on what you have heard."

so I don't see why you're too surprised with GS comments.

If you want to do a good, meaningful review, it doesn't help to say "but the VDA-1 obliterated the SE-90PCI."
Contrary to GS's advice, I would say start with looking at the stereophile glossary, and then try to think about/describe what you hear/feel in those terms, rather than "obliterated." That word is really harsh and descriptionless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back